Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions will not set, even after using terminal commands?

Hey,

I found a thread on here for using the terminal to type in commands for the user permissions and for the PSIX permissions on Leopard (10.5) server. These commands are supposed to clean the server of all underlying(hidden) permissions that you cant see and then you are supposed to be able to then set the permissions again and finally, to hit "Propagate Permissions" so that all the permissions set for the shared volume then get farmed out to all sub files/folders. This did not work when I tried it in the terminal, it said "Command not found" even after I typed in the admin password. Is there anyone out there who can tell me the actual way to fix the old permissions and get new ones set?

The story is: We had an old server on a G4 when i first took control of the server, I took the shared hard drive out of the G4 and inserted it into a G5 and started using it with the leopard server. the permissions did not really need to be set on that volume because they had carried over from the last time they were shared. But we recently just got a Drobo unit for our server and I recently transferred all the shared files and folders over to the new volume, but ever since I cant get the permissions to farm out to all the stations, it shows me that its done on the server. But when I go to access the files I am able to delete faculty folders where I had set the permissions to "read only" so I am wondering if there is a streamlined way of going about this or if I should just start from scratch and use all brand new HDD's?

Please Help!

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 1:51 PM

There are no replies.

Permissions will not set, even after using terminal commands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.