Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daily reset

I''m using my Airport Express v7.5.2 exclusively for music streaming from an Airfoil-enabled PC. There is no wireless enabled and the Express is hardwired to a switch. The Airport needs a reset if there is a long break between streaming. It won't show on the Airport utility even though the lights are green. The switch is not suspect since other connections work fine. Unfortunately the Express re-initializes the logs get when the box is reset.

What am I missing? I can't find anything in the setup so I must assume this is a bug. Surely the logs need to save information prior to a hard reset?

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 1:48 PM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2011 8:00 AM in response to hcsitas

Update: Today I had to reset the box even though there was no streaming at all. Just a few hours of inactivity and the device goes to sleep? I could ping the device but it wouldn't show on the Airport utility. Green light was on. Now I'm concerned that daily pulling and pushing will wear the plug out. Who wants to claim warranty repair on something that can happen again? So I have it now on it's own plug extender.

Note to Apple: Please fix this bug. Next hardware version please give the Airport an on/off switch. And make the logs/diagnostics more friendly. If I can ping it, the Airport can too.

What a pain.

Sep 25, 2011 12:06 AM in response to Squigsnot

Thanks but no it's not. The device is pingable, it just won't show on the Airport utility or Airfoil despite multiple scan attempts.

I found a way to make all this less painful:

1. The problem is more noticeable when wireless is turned off. It will almost surely happen in a matter of hours of inactivity irrespective of whether or not music streaming is active.

2. With the creation of a wireless network it sleeps off about once a day.

3. Here's the interesting part. I can read the device if I choose the "Configure Other" option. If I then force a reset it comes back to normal operation. Airfoil will work, but within a minute of exiting Airfoil, neither the Airfoil nor the Airport can see the Airport express. The problem is clearly triggered when music streaming is exited or paused. Nevertheless this method is preferable to hard plug/unplug resets, a la Express Yoga courtesy of Apple...

Hopefully the above information is useful to fix it in the next firmware release.

Daily reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.