Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lombard has no video in OS 9

Hello all

I just picked up a used Lombard - 400MHz/384MHz/DVD. It has 10.3.5 and OS 9 on the 6GB hard drive. It boots fine in OS X, but when I boot into OS 9, the video remains totally black. I can hear the machine boot, and if I hit the power button and then Return, the machine will turn off, so I know the computer is booting but with no video. I have booted from a retail OS 9 cd and from the 9.2 partition on the hard drive with the same result. I was going to boot from an OS 9 disk and reformat the computer (I just got it today), but I can't do it if I can't see the screen.

Of course, everything works fine in OS X - display and all.

Anybody have any ideas?

Richard

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 4:36 PM

1 reply

Sep 21, 2011 5:37 PM in response to Richard Williams Jr

OK, update time...

Much more weirdness with the screen starting up black with different CDs. (OS 9 CD boots with no video, Jaguar CD boots WITH video and Panther CD boots with NO video...????)

Then, on a hunch, I zapped the PRAM (CMD-OPT-P-R) even though the battery is kaput. Due to the dead PRAM battery, I didn't think the zapping would have any effect...however...it seems to have done the trick.

I am now installing OS 9 in full bright color. 🙂 And I'm ordering a new PRAM from OWC (my favorite retailer!)

Richard

Lombard has no video in OS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.