Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending to external editor does not send adjustments

Hi all - having an issue sending to more than one external editor.

I send to a NIK plugin (color efex), apply a fillter and then save.

After that I may want to send to Photoshop.

If I make any ajustments in Aperture (to the filtered file - the new TIFF master) before sending to the second external editor thos adjustments will be ignored.

For example -

I start with a RAW file. I make adjustments in Aperture. All Good.

I send this to Color Efex and give it a cross process. Save.

Back in Aperture i now have a TIFF file (cross processed).

If I then (for the sake of this example) completely desaturate the color (now its black and white) and then send this TIFF to photoshop using the send to external editor command the image in photoshop will be *color* - with the cross processing on it.

If I cancel this and then go back to Aperture and send the Black and White Picture to Colour effects again, it's also not black and white.

In summery the adjustments made after the first "send to external editor" do not carry to the second "send to external editor"

(It should be noted that any adjustments made before the first "send to external editor" do in fact carry to the external editor. It's only the second round that does not.)

Am i looking at a bug here?

Any others had this experience.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 9:09 PM

This tripped me up as well. Let me see if I can find my flow-chart. (Busy right now -- may be a couple of days.)

The work-around is simple: create a new version after making Aperture adjustments and send that to the second of the external editors. Creating a new Version forces Aperture to create a new (new) Master when you invoke the "Send to External Editor" command. This new Master has all of your Adjustments baked in.

(At least that's how I remember it. Apologies if wrong.)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2011 9:09 PM in response to catchlight pics

This tripped me up as well. Let me see if I can find my flow-chart. (Busy right now -- may be a couple of days.)

The work-around is simple: create a new version after making Aperture adjustments and send that to the second of the external editors. Creating a new Version forces Aperture to create a new (new) Master when you invoke the "Send to External Editor" command. This new Master has all of your Adjustments baked in.

(At least that's how I remember it. Apologies if wrong.)

Dec 30, 2012 8:49 AM in response to aapl.crox

This is not a bug! Aperture will not modifiy the master -- the quasi master created to send to the external editor is treated in Aperture as a master, but when tripped to the editor gets modified there. Any adjustments made in Aperture subsequent to a trip through the external editor will NEVER get picked up by a return trip. To do so would be a violation of the never modify the original doctrine.

Ernie

Dec 30, 2012 12:17 PM in response to aapl.crox

The workflow when first sending is that you have a Version resulting from adjustments. Since that Version does not exist as an actual image file at that point, when you then ask Aperture to send it to the external editor, it then must create the quasi-master (together with the adjustments to that point made in the Version) as a proper image file to send.

Ernie

Sending to external editor does not send adjustments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.