Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 usage and standby statistics identical despite trying out solutions

In August, I discovered this glitch. When I click Settings->General->Usage. Under "Time since last full charge", the "Usage and 'Standby" timing showed exactly the same time. e.g. if standby shows 3 hours 30 minutes, usage also shows 3 hours 30 minutes. This is despite leaving my phone to sleep and not touching it much.

I restored it using iTunes, and got back all apps from my backup.This tempoarily solved the problem but it came back in September. I got it replaced at my carrier (M1), but now my replaced iPhone got the same problem.

Yesterday, I switched off the phone in the morning about 7 plus, switched it on again at 10am. at 12pm I checked again, the problem was not solved(the usage time increased by 2 hours even though I did not use it from 10am to 12pm).

I went to Settings->General->Reset. I selected Reset all settings. The problem went away at first but in the evening the battery died, I charged it to 100%, and I realised the same problem was back. Refreshing the phone (holding the On/Off button and the home button simulatenously until the screen goes blank and an Apple logo appears, the same logo you see when you switch on the phone) did not solve the problem.

Today I deleted the "RE.minders" app and "Errands" App, wondering if they could be the cause since they might make use of the Push Notifications to alert you I think. The problem stayed. Then I switched it off for about half an hour and switched it on again. The problem stayed there but after a short while, appeared to have gone away(i.e. there was a divergence in the usage and standby time). I do not know if Cellular Data/Mobile Data from Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data/Mobile Data(can't remember which one) but it seemed that the problem suddenly went away(only for that time, IT COULD COME BACK AGAIN) during the time I switched on Mobile Data for about 20 to 30 minutes.

I got a new SIM card delivered to my house a while ago and put it into my iPhone to see if getting a new SIM card would help the problem.

But if the problem comes back again after the next time charge it to 100%, or if it comes back any time, what can I do?? Afterall, as described above, I have gone through so many steps including restore, replace phone, refresh, replace SIM card.

Please advise me. Thank you.

Note: I do not have game apps. The only apps that use notifications (Settings->Notifciations) currently are WhatsApp and Viber (not sure if RE.minders and Errands use notifications or not, but they are deleted anyway). I did not add any email account.

Thank you.

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 6:19 AM

13 replies

Sep 22, 2011 6:30 AM in response to WL31

It seems as though you have done a pretty good job at trying to isolate the problem. The only other suggestion that I would have is the next time you try and restore the phone, restore and new and do not add anything to the iPhone. Try it for a short period of time after that and see if it still displays this type of behavior. Without and additional apps or mail, it shouldn't. If it does, then there is something else going on. Then try adding things one at a time and see if you can determine which app is creating the issue.

Sep 22, 2011 7:05 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi ChrisJ4203,

Thanks for your response. So let's say if the problem does come back, and if I were to restor new and not add anyhting and the behaviour still show sup, what then should I do?

There were suggestions on other websites like:

-turning off notifications and locations, reboot phone and charge it until 100%

-let the battery use until it dies, charge it to 100% without using it while it is charging.

are those worth trying?

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2011 7:10 AM in response to WL31

If you have restored the iPhone to factory settings and not added anything else to it and it displays these symptoms, then there could be a hardware problem. You might take it to the Apple store for service.

Rebooting the phone as suggested is what you have done already and charging it just charges the battery. You are already charging it anyway. Letting the battery die is not really going to change anything except require you to charge it. A restore is doing more than that. Restoring to factory settings does not activate notifications and if you are not using anything that uses location services, it shouldn't matter, but you can make sure those are off as well.

Sep 22, 2011 7:29 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

hardware.. but I just replaced the phone a week ago at my Telco/Carrier, which is M1.

But if Notifications and location services are causing the problem, then almost everyone should be facing it right? But that is not the case.

It will be useful to use Location services for things like maps(the in built map.).

Thanks again.

Sep 22, 2011 7:42 AM in response to WL31

Well, just because you got a new one a week ago, doesn't mean it couldn't have a problem, but I wouldn't be so sure about it. Again, I believe this is just a software glitch and it should correct itself after you go through restoring it as a new phone and then syncing things back individually until you find the issue. Many times it is a problem with a mail account that stays connected causing the problem. Again, if you restore as new and not add anything to the phone, leaving it stock for a short period, you should see it correct itself. If it does, then add back your applications and mail account(s). Keep checking after adding each piece and see if it stays "fixed". If so, then you are back in business.

Sep 22, 2011 8:01 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi ChrisJ4203,

Thank you for all your swift replies, appreicate it a lot.

Well as described in my first post, after switching off and on the phone and deleting the two apps and switching on cellular data for a short while and off again, the problem seemed to have gone away for a while, so we will see what happens after the next time I charge it to 100% then see if the problem comes back and what I need to do. I have a very bad feeling it will come back to haunt me.

But let's say if it does not come back initially but comes back some time later, would the steps you propose still be the same???

By the way, I also read of people on this Apple Communities who complained that they are losing 1% of their battery every 10 to 15 mins. I have not checked that out if it is happening to me.

Sep 22, 2011 8:06 AM in response to WL31

Yes, my steps would be identical. Also, too many people put too much stock into looking at the percentages on the battery. I don't pay that much attention to mine, because if you keep watching how much it drops everytime you do something, you will believe it is dropping too rapidly. If you are getting a good day and then some from the battery after minimal usage, you are doing fine.

I hope it all works out alright and I'm glad I could help.

Sep 22, 2011 8:19 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

thanks for replying again.

Well, whether people are paying too much attention or not, if your usage and standby time is showing exactly the same time, it shows something is up.

Well I guess I can reply you here to let you know how things are going.

Sigh, what a bad time to be hit by such technical hiccups/ technology glitches, because this year I will be taking major national exams.

Keep in touch about iPhone matters :-).

Oct 1, 2011 12:04 PM in response to WL31

Anything is possible. Look at the iPhone as a mini-computer,and you can recall anything can go wrong with them. A file can get corrupt at any time and all we have to do is deal with it. Just remember for the most part the iPhone runs quite well. If you try and decide how well based on the number of posts you see here, these are only those people that are having problems that post here, there are a greater number of users that have no issues with their phones at all.

Enjoy your iPhone! Glad I could help.

Nov 24, 2011 5:01 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi ChrisJ4203,

How has things been with your iPhone? Are you on iPhone 4 or 4S?

apparently when I am sending SMSes my iPhone 4 battery drops by 1% gradually in front of me. There was one night I was sms-ing for a while, the phone dropped form 88% to 87%, 87% to 86% and so on. When I was done sms-ing it was 74%. I have Wi-Fi and 3G switched OFF, NO EMAIL accounts on my phone, Notifications and Location Services turned off. However, my phone only loses 2% or occasionally 3% overnight (i.e. I am asleep and no one is using) which I supposed is normal behaviour.

Sometimes if I leave my phone untouched for a few hours(I do not keep track of how many hours, but I supposed for 1 or 2 hours or even 3 hours), the battery drops 1% or 2%.

So my questions are:

1)Is it normal to have see the phone battery dropping by 1% right in front of your eyes every minute or so while sms-ing??

2)Is it normal to lose 1% to 2% battery when you do not touch it for a while?

3)What can I do about the issue of phone battery dropping every 1%?

I did a hard reset(hold the sleep/wake button and home button until apple logo appeared) and also tried letting the battery die and then charge it to 100%. The behaviour is still the same.

Thanks.

iPhone 4 usage and standby statistics identical despite trying out solutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.