Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes sync with Windows 8?

I have recently installed Windows 8 Dev Preview.

I would like to know if anyone else is in the same situation and knows a solution?

When I connect my iPhone to iTunes doesn't see it in the list of devices, however I did get the same prompt to install Apple USB Device Drivers and that was succesful.

iPhone 4, Other OS

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 3:34 PM

You'll probably have better luck asking the question here -> Windows EightForums

iTunes isn't designed to work with Windows 8, so theres no suprise that it isn't working as expected.

Windows Software

Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, or 32-bit editions of Windows 7
64-bit editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 require the iTunes 64-bit installer
QuickTime 7.6.6 or later is required (included)
200MB of available disk space
Screen reader support requires Window-Eyes 7.1.1 or later; for information about accessibility in iTunes, visit www.apple.com/accessibility

Edit:It looks like there is a thread on this problem there -> Trouble with iPhone 4 driver on windows 8

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2011 3:34 PM in response to zaersx

You'll probably have better luck asking the question here -> Windows EightForums

iTunes isn't designed to work with Windows 8, so theres no suprise that it isn't working as expected.

Windows Software

Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, or 32-bit editions of Windows 7
64-bit editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 require the iTunes 64-bit installer
QuickTime 7.6.6 or later is required (included)
200MB of available disk space
Screen reader support requires Window-Eyes 7.1.1 or later; for information about accessibility in iTunes, visit www.apple.com/accessibility

Edit:It looks like there is a thread on this problem there -> Trouble with iPhone 4 driver on windows 8

Dec 24, 2011 3:45 AM in response to zaersx

After a week of sync-**** and of getting absolutely nowhere with a new iPhone 4S + iTunes + Windows 7, I caved in just in time for christmas and injected the x64 Developer Preview of Windows 8 into the veins of my machine:

I did my first sync ever a couple of hours ago.

It would also put a really big smile on my ugly face if I'd be able to send a hitman to take care of the ridiculous Apple Mobile Device restarts, but hey, at least the weak little crap-punk device is finally talking at all and spilling some beans.

Merry Christmas.

Dec 30, 2011 8:13 AM in response to zaersx

For me, in Windows 8, it has often not been enough to only stop/start Apple Mobile Device, iTunes would sometimes still startup in an 'idle' state, not recognizing the phone. I use some very simple Windows PowerShell scripting, saved in a filed:

# Restart iTunes services

Restart-Service -name "iPod Service"

Restart-Service -name "Bonjour Service"

Restart-Service -name "Apple Mobile Device"

...save as a .ps1-file and you're done. Of course, you'd further adapt the script file to fit your specific iPhone and iTunes-needs. Also, in my case, the running of local PowerShell-scripts was disabled in Windows 8, so I set:

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

I believe an earlier version of PowerShell is also installed by default on Windows 7, so any simpler scripting would most likely be compatible.

More infos on PowerShell

Feb 28, 2012 3:33 AM in response to zaersx

I tried many options and this method worked for me.

Unzip the contents of Itunes64Setup.exe or iTunes64Setup_2.exe after you download it from the Apple site.

You will find a file AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi - copy it and keep it on your desktop(for easy access).

Before running iTunes, run this and select "Repair" from the options.

After this installation run iTunes and you may see your device in that.

unfortunately i have to do this every time i use iTunes.

I guess this must be giving some preference to the Apple driver over some other(MTP or something else) USB driver.

Try it and let me know if it works.

Reji

May 12, 2014 11:10 AM in response to zaersx

I had MANY issues with iTunes and my Windows 8.1, mostly with the syncing with the iPhone. I did this and it now works flawlessly. This is how to fix your iTunes woes within Windows 8 or 8.1:

1.) Uninstall itunes and all the other Apple Components (starting with iTunes itself, then everything else).

2.) Get the latest itunes version.

3.) Right click on the new iTunes application and click "Troubleshoot Compatibility."

4.) Run the program.

5.) Save the settings within the troubleshoot compatibility section.

6.) Finish installing as normal.

7.) Do not open the program immediately.

8.) Locate the new itunes icon on desktop, or wherever you put it.

9.) Right click "troubleshoot compatibility" on the icon.

10.) Run the program / save the settings.

Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2014 5:39 PM in response to zaersx

I tried every proposed solution without any result.

I didn't succeed at all to synchronize my Iphone 4 with Windows 8.1 (while it did work well before my latest update towards 8.1).

BUT at last, the following solution as listed on this page iPod: Appears in Windows but not in iTunes did work out ver well for me (particulary solution 5) as I dicovered that my Windows 8.1 didn't have the Apple USB Device Driver installed anymore:

5. Verify that the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is installed

iTunes sync with Windows 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.