Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps crashing

This is a brand brand new iPad. I restored it manually instead of from back up because the dudes at genius bar told me the last one might have had a corrupt back up, even though the apps were shutting down and stalling the whole iPad and not just the app whenever I played a video.

Now, for the last few days, SAFARI has intermittently shut itself off to my home screen and so did a couple of Apps, but mainly Safari. Everything is unto date on the iPad.

Anyone else having this issue? What is wrong! Should I be worried?

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 3:00 PM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2011 4:53 PM in response to Dontcallmedarling

I copied and pasted this from a Pages document that I keep handy for this purpose. Start with the very last tip - clear Safari. If that doesn't help, work your way up from the bottom with the other two suggestions.

Try downloading another app - any free app. Sometimes that resets things and apps will quit crashing.

Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Quit/close open apps by double tapping the home button and the task bar will appear with all of you recent/open apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus (-) sign in the upper left corner to close the apps. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Cache. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Safari crashes on me with some regularity no matter what I do. I realize that the "standard" fix would be for me to restore. I really don't want to do that yet. I regularly clear Safari and yet the problem continues. However, once I clear Safari as described above, it behaves OK again for a while. I - like you - may have something corrupt causing a problem somewhere and more than likely - IMO - it must be an app or app data causing the problem. My point is that some users experience these things but if any of these suggestions get you up and running again, I wouldn't be too concerned - yet.

Oct 4, 2011 10:14 AM in response to Dontcallmedarling

Your situation mirrors mine in a way. I finally decided to restore my iPad about two weeks ago. I restored to factory settings and then to my most recent backup. The issues with all of my browsers did not get any better. So then I looked through all of my apps - and I do not have many at all - far less than 100 - and I decided to delete some of them from my iPad thinking maybe that was the reason the browsers were crashing. I'm happy to report that since I removed those apps - I have not had one crash, have not had to restart, reset, or close/quit any apps at all.

I believe that it must have been game data causing my problems. Most of the apps that I removed were little used game apps. Some of them I had played a good bit and I may have lost my saves in them, but I had pretty much quit playing them anyway.

These games can were pretty large files - I had one that was a 750 MB download and one that was around 500 MB. Considering the fact that I picked up another 1.25 GB of storage again and that my iPad is running smoothly again, it was well worth it to me.

Jan 12, 2012 9:32 PM in response to Dontcallmedarling

My Ipad2 with latest IOS has been doing the same - Getting random crashing in safari . I was previewing books on Amazon and just kept crashing. So what is Found was in Settings>General>About>Diagnostics&Usage>Diagnostics&Usage Data and found low memory errors and Safari Crash Data. So I found out how to Close all my running Apps and was able to preview several books without a crash. So I am thinking this whole Safari crashing issue is a Memory Problem because background apps are not closing???????

To Close Apps manually follow link

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/application/#section_3

Good Luck

Doug D

Jan 30, 2012 7:27 AM in response to Dontcallmedarling

I woke up this morning and my iPad 2 was crashing too. It's not a Safari or an App thing. It's something bigger than that. However, I was able to fix it by holding the sleep and power button down until the Apple logo appeared and the iPad 2 rebooted. Then everything worked fine. Last night I played games and was on FaceTime and E-mail and everything. NO PROBLEM. Everything happened this morning. Try this fix and everything should be fine.

Mar 24, 2012 10:26 AM in response to Dontcallmedarling

My safari is periodically crashing---any advice? here is my report statement:

Process: Safari [325]

Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Identifier: com.apple.Safari

Version: 5.1.4 (6534.54.16)

Build Info: WebBrowser-75345416~2

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [89]

PlugIn Path: /Users/Shared/.HiFiMPWMA.so

PlugIn Identifier: .HiFiMPWMA.so

PlugIn Version: ??? (???)

Date/Time: 2012-03-24 12:55:03.792 -0400

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 4872942 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 40

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 57817 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 6

Anonymous UUID: C6724AEB-20E4-49AE-82AC-9C07EFB9ED6C

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 1

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

Safari keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.