Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck at white screen during shutdown

My new macbook pro 13inch is taking forever to shut down. When i clicked the shutdown button, everything goes on as per normal till it reaches the white screen with the roller and it just stays there forever, draining battery till I force shut it down. Any ideas on why is this happening and and solution? Thanks in advance for all your help! (:

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 6:56 PM

At that point in the shutdown process, launchd is supposed to issue quit (or force quit) commands to all running processes. For some reason that is not completing.

The next time you startup, go to /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities and launch Console. Under the Files tab select system.log and look for entries that are time stamped with when you shutdown. Look for the last few entries before you restarted the computer for anything that might indicate a hang, crash, pause, etc.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2011 6:56 PM in response to marcusongzp

At that point in the shutdown process, launchd is supposed to issue quit (or force quit) commands to all running processes. For some reason that is not completing.

The next time you startup, go to /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities and launch Console. Under the Files tab select system.log and look for entries that are time stamped with when you shutdown. Look for the last few entries before you restarted the computer for anything that might indicate a hang, crash, pause, etc.

Stuck at white screen during shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.