Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update 10.01 is not able to edit projects from 10.0, and won't let me create a new project or event?

Hello,

I update to 10.01 yesterday evening. Today, I shot some footage and wanted to transfer it to my 2011 iMac. I've worked with several other projects in version 10.0, so you can imagine my surprise and panic when FCPX came up blank. No projects, no events, nothing. I soon realized that my project and event files were still on my Macintosh HD, under final cut pro events and projects, but the application itself wouldn't recognize them. Furthermore, I found out, whenever trying to create a new project or event, everything would work fine, until I closed the application, or logged out, when all my progress would be erased and I would start back at 'create a new project' and 'add a new event'.

I have an important school project coming up soon, and I don't have the original video files anymore. The events and projects on Final Cut X are the only video files I have and need for this school project, so switching to a different editing program is not an option.

Whenever I tried to drag projects and events from Macintosh HD to Final Cut X, it would come up with an error message, saying basically Final Cut can't play this project, etc.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 7:12 PM

23 replies

Oct 1, 2011 3:44 AM in response to BobTheMagicLizard

Three general trouble-shooting suggestions.

Use this app to trash the preferences.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

It should be the first thing you try when any problems occur.

If it doesn't work, create a new User Account (Admin) in System Preferences and try running FCP X from that as it sometimes works miracles.

Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

Oct 1, 2011 3:58 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I've recovered my 'Movies' folder from a TM backup from before the upgrade to force FCPX to re-convert the projects and events. To no avail. Removing the preferences from FCPX didn't help either.

Already did the Repair Permissions from Disk Utility too.

I don't use symbolic links or aliases. Everything is on my local disk (except RAW footage).

I don't see how a test user account would give me back projects and events that are still on my normal account. I agree a user account can help troubleshooting a lot of problems, but this is typically a situation where it can't.

Your effort is, of course, highly appreciated though!

Oct 1, 2011 4:04 AM in response to McShamus_nl

You may not be able to see how a new User Account would work but give it a try.

Often in life we don't understand why a certain course of actions can work.

It will only take a minute, so it's worth trying.

Frequently I have had problems which ultimately have been cured by trashing prefs, but I have spent hours trying all sorts of other things because I have not been able to see how trashing prefs could possibly work in those cases.

Oct 1, 2011 10:41 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yeah, actually. I downloaded a program called FXfactory, uninstalled it, then updated FCPX to 10.0.1.

However, the program was uninstalled before I updated, so I don't see how there could be a conflict. I also reinstalled FCPX upon realizing that it didn't work anymore, which promptly changed nothing.

Andy-

No, I wish I did, though 😀.

Update 10.01 is not able to edit projects from 10.0, and won't let me create a new project or event?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.