Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and Firefox both hang intermittently

My network connection seems to hang when attempting to open web pages (both in Safari and Firefox), sometimes for minutes, before finally loading the web page. I'm thinking this is an issue with my MBP (13" mid-2009), since my Windows machine (gasp!) and iDevices never hang. This issue happens both wirelessly and when I'm connected via ethernet. I'm using a Motorola SBG901 cable modem with Comcast (though this happened with a Verizon DSL modem as well). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 13" 2009/2.26Ghz/160GB HDD/4GB RAM

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 8:27 PM

1 reply

Sep 22, 2011 10:47 PM in response to SavedByTechnology

Yeah. I'm having the same problems since upgrading to Lion. This problem is not limited to the MBP. I have the same issues with both my 2011 MBP 15" and 2011 MB Air 13", and it is VERY irritating. I can't say that it happens during wired connections, as I always connect wirelessly through my Airport Extremes (I have two).

When it hangs in Safari, it hangs completely (i.e., Nothing happens, no matter what). I've seen this reported on other blogs, but I have yet to see a solution. Here is what I do - Note, I know that this is not the most elegant solution, but it does get things going again: Click "Safari/Reset Safari", and then select "Clear History", "Clear Downloads" and "Close Safari" buttons, and click the "reset" button. Afterwards, load your page, and it should come back up fine.

Again -- I know -- Definitely NOT the most elegant solution. But it does get one back online, and doesn't require a reboot (which is a solution that I've seen on other blogs).

Hope this helps. However, if you come up with something better, I would definitely be interested in the solution. Hopefully, Apple is reading this stuff, and will take note and fix. Definitely a Safari/Lion bug here .......😐

Safari and Firefox both hang intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.