Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - Ethernet printer goes offline

I would like to replace an old router with an Airport Extreme. Unfortunately, the ethernet printer (HP 4100) goes offline when I make the switch. I could really use some help on this issue

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 5:41 AM

4 replies

Sep 24, 2011 8:16 AM in response to Tesserax

I don't know how to check whether the printer is getting an IP address from Airport Extreme. What I did do was type the printer's IP address into Explorer. Doing that only works with the old router but not with AIrport Extreme.

The printer has a static IP address. I deleted the printer and reinstalled it using the same IP address that the printer had under the old configuration (and the same one that shows on the printer's "configuration page"). Finally, i updated the drivers. After doing all that, the printer doesn't work (i.e. it is offline). I now have put the old router back in place and the printer works without problems.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for how to fix this problem.

Sep 24, 2011 12:47 PM in response to fromhanover

What I did do was type the printer's IP address into Explorer. Doing that only works with the old router but not with AIrport Extreme.

I am guessing that your previous router was providing local network clients with private IP addresses in the 192.168.n.n range. If you have set up your printer with a static IP address in this range, then the problem may be because the default private IP address range use by the AirPorts is 10.0.1.n. You will need to temporarily connect one of your computers directly to the printer by Ethernet to change the static IP address or make the change through the printer's front panel (if it provides for one.)

Jul 7, 2013 3:01 AM in response to fromhanover

I had the same issue. I think Tesserax is right. I'm running PC so what I did was I downloaded AirPort Utility for PC (I have no idea how to check which one is the latest so I got v. 5.6.1) and then selected

1. "Manual Setup"

2. Entered password (if you have one for ur Airport Extreme (AE))

3. Selected "Internet" tab at the top

4. Selected "DHCP" tab under that

5. Changed the "DHCP Beginning Address:" to "192.168" (thx for the hint Tesserax)

After that I had a few issues trying to get my PC online with my AE (probably because I had my printer directly connected to my PC and the AE disconnected.... genius!) but my printer pretty much immediately "awoke" and printed the 3 day old pending page that we had already forgotten what we printed (surprise!).

Hope that helps. 🙂

Airport Extreme - Ethernet printer goes offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.