Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Mode. Which one?

Replacing my defunct Airport Express and adding it to my wireless network, Airport Utility only seemed to give me one option: join an already existing network, but the Wireless Mode options include join a wireless network, participate in a WDS network, and extend a wireless network. Can anyone parse out the differences between these?

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 11:33 AM

"Join a wireless network" is used to connect the AirPort Express to an existing wireless network for use with AirTunes or to connect a remote printer using the USB port on the Express.

"Extend a wireless network" is used if you want the AirPort Express to perform the same functions as "join" and also provide more wireless coverage in the area where it is located. You must have an Apple "n" main wireless router for this to work.

"WDS" performs the same as "join" and "extend", but is used with an older "b/g" Apple main wireless router.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2011 11:33 AM in response to WildBill

"Join a wireless network" is used to connect the AirPort Express to an existing wireless network for use with AirTunes or to connect a remote printer using the USB port on the Express.

"Extend a wireless network" is used if you want the AirPort Express to perform the same functions as "join" and also provide more wireless coverage in the area where it is located. You must have an Apple "n" main wireless router for this to work.

"WDS" performs the same as "join" and "extend", but is used with an older "b/g" Apple main wireless router.

Sep 23, 2011 11:51 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob, for clarifying. Couldn't be clearer.

Would you have an opinion on the advantages to switching out my older AEBS ("b/g") main wireless router (which still works fine) with my newer TC "n"? Would I be able to make backups wirelessly (I have my TC connected by ethernet cable presently and only use it as an externasl hd)?

Sep 23, 2011 1:08 PM in response to WildBill

The main advantage to switching out the older AEBS for the TC would be faster "n" wireless speeds on the TC. If you plan to backup using wireless, things will go at least twice as fast using "n" speeds compared to "g".

Ethernet is still the fastest connection to use, so it will still be at least 3-4 times faster than even "n" wireless.

Wireless Mode. Which one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.