Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

People can see me but mic crossed out, no sound with iSight in Face Time

Hi.

I have tried to use my iSight with Face Time for a while now. The mic crossed out, no sound with iSight in Face Time!

people can see me but can't hear me. iSight is selected in preferences and I see it reponding when I talk.

Please help.

W.W.

MAC PRO4.1 2x2.26 MHz, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 6 GB RAM

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 3:37 PM

Hi,

Can you confirm this is an External iSight ?

IF so what Adapter are you using ?

EZ Jim may follow this up due to Time Zone differences

User uploaded file
11:37 PM Friday; September 23, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2011 3:37 PM in response to Walter Wedler

Hi,

Can you confirm this is an External iSight ?

IF so what Adapter are you using ?

EZ Jim may follow this up due to Time Zone differences

User uploaded file
11:37 PM Friday; September 23, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 23, 2011 3:44 PM in response to Walter Wedler

FaceTime for Lion (my current version is Version 1.1 (258)) does not recognize external iSights' Firewire mics.

You will need to use a different mic connected via one of the methods that is recognized in your FaceTime's "Video" menu choices.

As an example ONLY, mine looks like the image below:

    User uploaded file

The "Line In" mic that I use is the USB mic that is built into my

MacPro's  LED Cinema Display.

Your available choices may be different depending on your system configuration. If you need help, your Apple retailer can help you select a mic that will work properly given your available system choices.

Sep 24, 2011 11:50 AM in response to Walter Wedler

You're welcome, W.W.

I am surpriseed if your iSight shows in FaceTime's "Microphone" menu section. If it does show there, I would think that your iSight's mic should work with your FaceTime.

(As noted in my earlier post: "Your available choices may be different depending on your system configuration.")

If none of the available mics you have work or sound good enough for your needs, you will need to consider a different mic when you want to use the current version of the FaceTime app.

I have successfully tested my Logitech USB Desktop Microphone with my FaceTime. As shown in the image below, it shows in FaceTime's "Microphone" section as "AK5370":

    User uploaded file

These mics are available for less than $30 USD from many suppliers, including the Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T6831LL/A

For this money, it is obviously not studio quality, but I have long used this desktop mic for good quality iMovie voiceovers. Part of the mic's sound improvement may result from the ability to position farther from computer fans and drive noises than built-in mics. The Logitech also offers good off-axis noise rejection. Unless you need a more expensive mic that offers higher quality audio, the Logitech USB mic may be worth considering.

Sep 25, 2011 5:38 AM in response to EZ Jim

Hi and thank you for your patience EZ Jim!

(I go side-tracked with work.)

You were absolutely right with your clear info.

In FaceTime, Video under Microphone select the external USB Microphone

and you can do FaceTime with iSight including audio.

Instead of looking for my USB mic in FaceTime, Video, Microphone I opened

System, sound preferences where I usually select all things audio. My mistake.

W.W.

Sep 25, 2011 12:12 PM in response to Walter Wedler

Hi,

I see in the rest of this thread that EZ Jim sorted you in the right direction.

It is true that Volume in System Preferences > Sound > Input (Plus device choice) is as important ans selecting the Mic in the relevant app and generally speaking you need to set both.

It is true that iChat has improved in this area so that once Volume is set in System Preferences > Sound > Input for one device and that has been chosen in iChat the device in System Preferences can be changed to something else (iChat Remembers the Volume Setting for that "mic"). In earlier versions it do not do this.
As Face Time is a relatively new app I would guess it's Mic choices may not be that sophisticated yet (I only have one mic available to the MacBoo Pro I use and that is it's Internal Mic so I have not been able to test.)

Mics with 3.5 mm jacks tend not to work. These mics are what are called Lo Line In devices and don't produce enough "oomphh" for a Mac. (Mac's sound input requires a Hi Line In Device).

You could consider Hi Line In devices to be "Preamped" - a bit of a simplistic view that should get the point across.

User uploaded file
8:12 PM Sunday; September 25, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 25, 2011 6:34 PM in response to EZ Jim

I am back and I think I jumpt the gun!

My friend, I am trying to FaceTime with is away for the weekend. When I jus clicked his address in Face Time I saw that the mic on the bottom is still crossed out! That means he still can't hear me right?

I will post back after I try my friend tomorrow.

In the meantime I tried Ralph's suggestion of "Line In devices and don't produce enough "oomphh" for a Mac".

I pluged in my favorite pro high impedance Shure mic 565S I use for life performances. Same crossed out mic.😟

W.W.

Sep 26, 2011 7:54 AM in response to Walter Wedler

Walter Wedler wrote: ... Face Time ... mic on the bottom is still crossed out! ...😟...

Re-read the earlier suggestions, then check the following:

(0) Is your mic "muted" in >System Prefernces > Sound > Input? (lights should flicker when you talk)

(1) Is your FaceTime turned "On" in FaceTime > Preferneces?

(2) Is the Mic you want to use visible and selected with a ✓ in FaceTime's Video "Microphone" menu section?

(3 If your external mic has separate switch(es), check to see if it is switched off or to "standby"?

(4) Have you clicked the "crossed out" FaceTime mic iCon to be sure FaceTime is not muting your mic?

  Info in 's http://tinyurl.com/3kyays8

(5) If none of the above work, see your Retailer for help selecting a mic that works with FaceTime.

Sep 26, 2011 11:05 AM in response to EZ Jim

EZ Jim:

Thanks to you and Ralph for all the info. I have a mid-2010 Mac mini (OS 10.7.1) with an external iSight camera plugged into one of the Firewire ports on the rear of my A1081 Apple Display. My Face Time 1.1 (258) video works great but I don't show ANY mics in the "Video" menu, so of course I cannot transmit. The iSight mic, however, shows up and checks out fine in Lion's Sys. Prefs. and works normally when I do video chats with either Skype or iChat.

It seems to me that Apple is needlessly punishing Mac Pro and Mac mini Lion upgraders. I'm not a techie, but if the external iSight mic works under Lion with other applications, couldn't Apple update FT software to enable it to work with Face Time? I ordered the recommended Logitech USB mic ($22 at Amazon), but am not happy at having to do so. I realize that Firewire is on the way out and that external iSight cameras haven't been sold by Apple since 2006, but Mactracker shows that these cameras are still "supported."

Don

Sep 26, 2011 11:51 AM in response to donbo

Hi,

One thing with have not discussed is apps like SoundFlower.

These can access the Audio in one place and make it available somewhere else on the Mac.

I can not see anything on that Linked page to say where or not it works In Lion (the closest is version 1.5.1 requires at least OS 10.5

My understanding is that it gets set up in System Preferences as an "input device""

This is then availble in other apps and may turn up in Face Time.

This apps is free so there is little to lose on that score.

I will point out that we did have issues with Soundflower in iChat around the iChat 2 and 3 change over (Relase of Tiger OS 10.4) and with at least one update after that.

User uploaded file
7:51 PM Monday; September 26, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 26, 2011 1:28 PM in response to donbo

donbo wrote:

EZ Jim:

Thanks to you and Ralph for all the info. ...

You're most welcome, Don.

Here follow my thoughts on your latest comments.

... The iSight mic ... shows up and checks out fine in Lion's Sys. Prefs. and works normally when I do video chats with either Skype or iChat.

This is proof that your iSight and its connection to your Mac are working properly.

It seems to me that Apple is needlessly punishing Mac Pro and Mac mini Lion upgraders...

It does not seem so to me. Rather, this seems like normal growing pains that accompany introduction of every major System Software upgrade.

Many apps, including FaceTime, that worked in earlier versions of Mac have at least some functionality problems after upgrading to Lion. If you notice problems with any other apps, info from this link can help you determine if the problem might be related to compatibility with Lion:

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table/tags/_f/index_tags/_f

... couldn't Apple update FT software to enable it to work with Face Time? ...

Probably. However, because I am merely a Mac user like you, I have no official Apple information on either whether an update is possible or, if it is possible, whether such an update will eventually be offered.

The best I can suggest is to check the information provided with future OS X Lion updates to see if FaceTime compatibility is one of the subjects included in future updates. In the meantime, adding a microphone that is compatible with FaceTime is the best alternative I can suggest.

... I ordered the recommended Logitech USB mic ($22 at Amazon), but am not happy at having to do so. I realize that Firewire is on the way out and that external iSight cameras haven't been sold by Apple since 2006, but Mactracker shows that these cameras are still "supported."...

If the Logitech USB mic was the best alternative your Apple Retailer recommended for your Mac mini, I would think you would like that choice better than any other available to you.

As you note, iSight is supported. However, not every element of every system is compatible with every software app (or with each other.) It may not be true for everyone. However, even though external iSights work with many other apps, FaceTime Version 1.1 (258) is NOT compatible with iSight Firewire mics, at least on your system and mine.

Sep 26, 2011 6:26 PM in response to EZ Jim

EZ Jim:

Thanks for your reply and the Roaringapps link. While Face Time is listed there as having "some problems," ironically the referenced Apple OS X Lion "Website:"

http://www.apple.com/macosx/apps/

is headlined: "Apps that are ready for anything. So you are too." "Making video calls" is listed as a feature, and Face Time's icon is one of the seven app icons pictured.

You are right of course about "growing pains." With all the possible combinations of hardware and software, it's amazing that our devices work even half as well as they do - especially after major upgrades. Those of us with external iSight cameras are a very minor subset of Mac users and we still have another Apple-provided (and supported) video chat application to use while we wait for a possible software update. I promise to stop complaining.

Don

Sep 27, 2011 12:25 PM in response to donbo

Like many in this discussion I was irritated when my isight sound no longer worked with facetime after the lion upgrade. Many have suggested workarounds and also others have stated that it is just part of system and software upgrades that things are no longer supported. Bottom line for me, however is the fact that Apple said that the isight was supported in facetime for lion and as far as I can tell has not commented in this thread or anywhere else if they intend to keep this commitment or abandon the isight in this app. Saying it is an old and out of date hardware item is not the issue. The issue is, has been and still is that Apple officially stated it was supported. Where is their reply? Some have started a support ticket, has anyone received a reply??

People can see me but mic crossed out, no sound with iSight in Face Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.