Skip navigation

Login Window Missing?

1403 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 10:54 AM by BDAqua RSS
legolas-woodelf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 23, 2011 2:58 PM

I have my Mac set to automatically login in to my main profile and admin account which all works fine.

However when I try to log out to let my daughter use her login, the Mac gets as far as showing the default star/universe backdrop, but the box with the user and login field never appears. I can get between user accounts using fast switching, but it means all users have to stay logged in. The minute one user logs out, the star-universe backdrop appears with no login window and the only way round it is to reboot the machine.

Any ideas what I need to do to fix it?

As ever, any thoughts or advice most gratefully accepted.

Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17" iMac PPC G4 1.25 GHz 10.5.8
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,670 points)
    Sep 23, 2011 3:09 PM (in response to legolas-woodelf)

Hello, I'm thinking it's this...

Delete the file /library/preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist and restart. (That's the library at the top level of the drive, not in your home directory).

Sep 24, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to legolas-woodelf)

Wondering,

If all the above fails, then it appears to be time for a relatively painless Archive & Install, which gives you a new/old OS, but can preserve all your files, pics, music, settings, etc., as long as you have plenty of free disk space and no Disk corruption, and is relatively quick & painless...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Just be sure to select Preserve Users & Settings.

Sep 25, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to legolas-woodelf)

Well, that should be enough space to accomplish it, but first...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.