Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yikes! I really crashed my Finder...how to recover?

Hi... I used some nifty freeware to try to recover some pics off of a SD card today. It's a fairly simplistic piece of software and I wasn't really thinking when I got it rolling. I pointed it to my Desktop for saving the recovered pics. Well, it put 800 2mb pic files onto my desktop in the course of an hour. I thought, Whups, that'll be a mess. But it's been worse than that! It has crashed my Finder bigtime. I can see my Desktop. But when I move the cursor with my Powerbook G4 trackpad, it turns into the Spinning Wheel every time. For a few seconds. Then it goes back to being a cursor. I can't do anything with the Finder on the Desktop. I restarted in Safe Mode. Same thing. Actually, I got a bit of life right after restarting -- enough to create a new Folder that I planned to drag all those stray desktop files into. It's a new machine for me. It has 1.5ghz, 1gb RAM, I think. Oddly, I can open applications -- they work badly and slowly but they open. And I can drag windows around, even a Finder window will sometimes open and let me drag it around but I can't change folders/directories in it. Help? Thanks! --JP

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 6:35 PM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2011 6:58 PM in response to JeffOYB

Yep, more than a few things on the Desktop will slow OSX to a crawl, hundreds may take days to do one little step.

If you don't have another user to log into to move those files, then see if a Safe Boot... holding Shift key down at bootup, allows you enough speed to move them.

If neither works try this...

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

Sep 23, 2011 8:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks. Your ideas looked like good ones. But I'm happy to report that things gradually seemed to get functioning again. Like you said, it all moved very very slowly but after a few more Safe Boot restarts I was able to move a few files into a folder and then suddenly I could move them all into a folder and that cleared away the Desktop clutter and presto I restarted and was back to good ol' Mac. (Several hours later.... Whew!) Thanks again! JP

Sep 23, 2011 9:20 PM in response to JeffOYB

Gtreat to hear JP, good work! 🙂

Everything on the Desktop is a special 3-D Quartz Window of it's own, using twice to thrice the CPU, GPU, & RAM!?

I notice a big difference with 32 items on the Desktop of an Intel iMac/2.4GHz,/6GB, lowering it to 8 seems like double the speed, the other thing is Disk Free Space, it aint ours anymore, even on a 1TB drive, dropping to "only" 125GB Free slows OSX. 😟

Yikes! I really crashed my Finder...how to recover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.