Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change default to unchecked

It seems any song or video added to iTunes automatically get "checked" (enabled in the checkbox column) , I discovered. The default setting seems to be "make the item checked when it is added" (my words). How can I change the default so the stuff that gets added to iTunes is not automatically "checked"?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 5:28 AM

22 replies

Sep 25, 2011 5:21 AM in response to yattaman

Trust Chris on this. I used to use check boxes to determine which items got synced to my iDevice. One accidental command-click and it's all a disaster. Not to mention, it's just a pain. Using selected playlists/artists/albums is much easier. I didn't believe him at first, either. The only things I check or uncheck these days are holiday music.

Sep 25, 2011 6:10 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

Trust Chris on this. I used to use check boxes to determine which items got synced to my iDevice. One accidental command-click and it's all a disaster. Not to mention, it's just a pain. Using selected playlists/artists/albums is much easier. I didn't believe him at first, either. The only things I check or uncheck these days are holiday music.

Am I missing something here? In iTunes, with your iPad connected, in the Summary tab, there is an option "Sync only checked songs and videos."

I enabled this option. So, you see, as I explained, and has been confirmed here, that everything that is added into iTunes is automatically check-enabled by iTunes (it is the default action), thus everything checked will get synched to the iPad. So I have to uncheck what I do not want to be synched.

Right now, whenever I add songs or videos into iTunes, I have to remember to disable the check on the items I do not want to be synched to the iPad.

Perhaps I'm doing this in a roundabout way? If I'm doing this incorrectly, please explain in detail the correct procedure. I just want to get selected stuff onto the iPad, not all stuff that ever gets added to iTunes, and not have to be concerned with checkboxes.

Sep 25, 2011 7:08 AM in response to yattaman

With your device connected, in each tab, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, select what you want to sync. For example, under Music, you can select by playlists, by artists, by albums, whatever combinations you like. I tend to mostly sync by playlists and then add a few artists.

For some additional info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1758

Sep 25, 2011 7:55 AM in response to yattaman

yattaman wrote:

Perhaps I'm doing this in a roundabout way? If I'm doing this incorrectly, please explain in detail the correct procedure. I just want to get selected stuff onto the iPad, not all stuff that ever gets added to iTunes, and not have to be concerned with checkboxes.

I gave you a perfectly good answer to that paragraph. I have also answered your original question. Hope you figure out what you need to do. I'm done.

Sep 25, 2011 9:23 AM in response to yattaman

This is about the iTunes default of enabling the checkboxes.

This cannot be changed.

But if you are using the checkboxes to decide what syncs or not, it is much simpler to make playlists to decide what to sync.

Am I missing something here?

It would seem so, yes.

Checking that box is NOT the only way to limit what is sync'd.

Create a a playlist of items you want on the iPod (named iPod music or whatever) and drag songs to it.

Connect the iPod and click the Music tab across top.

Select Sync selected playlists.

Tick only the playlist containing the music you want on the iPod then sync it.

Now instead of unchecking items, just add/delete them from this playlist and sync the iPad.

The point is that any song (or movie) dragged into any Playlist, is automatically "checked" by iTunes. I need iTunes to stop enabling the "check".

No it does not do this. Items added to iTunes are checked when added. Moving them around in iTunes does not check them.

Even if it did this, you are adding songs to a playlist you want sync'd so you would need to check the boxes anyway so...

I create playlists for items I want sync'd and add/delete from those playlists.

The only time I uncheck items are for things I rarely/never want on my iPad/iPod are unchecked such as Christmas music and audiobooks I have already listened to.

In my iTunes libraryI have ~ 8000 songs.

I only have a few hundred unchecked.

I sync ~1000 to my iPod mini and ~250 to my iPod shuffle and ~3000 to my iPad.

Sep 25, 2011 8:01 PM in response to Chris CA

First, please, for me, right now, add a song to one of your iTunes playlists, by dragging the song into the playlist. Did the song automatically get "checked"?

When I do this procedure, the song is immediately "checked" by iTunes in the playlist and therefore I see it is also checked in the Library>Music.

In the Sync Music tab of iTunes, I have enabled Selected Playlists, Artists, Albums and Genres.

In the Summary tab of iTunes, I have enabled Sync iTunes Checked Items Only

Is there a conflict between these two options?

Are you saying that I should disable Sync iTunes Checked Items Only, and use the procedure you described?

And, I should first create a playlist on the iPad?

iTunes 10; iPad2.

Change default to unchecked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.