Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer my itunes songs onto a thumb drive to play in my car

My new vehicle has a usb port and I was wondering I could put my itunes songs onto a thumb drive and play them in my vehicle. thanks

MAC MINI, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 10:05 AM

18 replies

Sep 24, 2011 11:05 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Yes it does have access to the stereo. I use it to hook my ipod up to my stereo. The thing is my wife also has this in her vehicle and seems to take my ipod wherever she goes. I tried to put my itunes on the thumb drive and it seemed like it worked. I had 99 songs dowloaded from itunes and one song that I got from amazon. The only song that comes up is the amazon song. I figure it is because the others are mp4 and this is not supported by the stereo in my vehicle. Is there a way around that?

Sep 24, 2011 12:06 PM in response to BLAMS2004

So then all you need to do is convert the songs you want to put on the USB stick to MP3.

These Directions are from iTunes 10.4. If that's not what you're using, I believe Import Settings are in iTunes Preferences/Advanced.

That being said, You don't want to lose to much quality in the conversion. You'll want to start with the highest quality files you can.

What I would do is create a Playlist called USB Stick. Drag the music files you want on the stick into the Playlist.

From iTunes Preferences/General/Import Settings/Import Using: Select MP3 Encoder and select your Quality

Then go back to your USB Playlist and Select all the songs as a group using the Shift key. Right Click on the files/Create MP3 Version.

Sep 24, 2011 6:33 PM in response to BLAMS2004

So it wont actually convert the new folder called stick MP3 but rather add a duplicate into the main library? Then I would have to go through all the songs in my over 20000 song library and find the 108 that I converted and place them in yet another folder that I would call "MP3 stick converted" then drag that folder onto my thumb drive? Sorry if I seem less than smart about this but I am well less than smart about this. Also I appreciate you taking the time to help me.-blams

Sep 30, 2012 11:21 AM in response to Joe Gramm

In case anyone is still looking for an answer through this post:

Joe Gramm only gave half the solution above. Add another rule {click the + sign to the right of the rule above] where "Playlist" "Is" the thumb drive playlist you had originally created and converted. The new smart playlist will only contain the mp3 (converted) versions of your thumb drive playlist. No lengthy list making required again.

Feb 7, 2013 9:19 PM in response to BLAMS2004

I'm having a problem with this too.

iTunes - it just works. Until you need it to do something handy.

It should be easy to say > I want to export a file or a playlist - to this destination - in this format. Done.

iTunes allows this if you burn to a CD or DVD, why not if you export to a thumb drive or a folder?

More and more vehicles are providing USB ports for a thumb drive with mp3 or wma formatted songs, it'd be nice to be able to use this easily rather than having to jump through hoops.

My best solution so far is "Create MP3 version", sort my library by date created, drag and drop the new mp3 files out of the iTunes library to the destination folder, delete the duplicates from iTunes, and on and on... Not elegant but it allows me to get the files out.

Sep 1, 2015 12:05 PM in response to BLAMS2004

This looks like an old thread so, don't know if anyone will see this but. . . here goes:

My Problem: When dragging files from my iTunes Library on to a thumb drive the songs automatically arrange themselves by Track number. So, if I put 5 different cd's on the zip drive, all the #1 tracks are followed by all the #2 tracks, etc.

How do I keep the cd's 'separate' from each other and avoid having them all 'blend' together by track numbers?

Many many THANKS to anyone who can help.

terry

How can I transfer my itunes songs onto a thumb drive to play in my car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.