Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yellow stickie "To Get started with Places" is frozen on the screen. How do move on and assign a place?

IPhoto 11 (9.1.5 version) Program works fine has been doing so for a year. Never used "Places" feature before. Now when I try it the screen freezes in the "get info" mode. I see a yellow sticky type deal with "To Get Started wtih Place" and some choices. Behind the sticky is a geyed out map. I can't do anything. It seems at this point I should be able to put a pin on the map or something. In preferences I have checked "look up places automaticaly" Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 11:29 PM

You don't assign places there. Select a photo and click on the Info button. You'll see the 'Assign a Place' option lower right. Assign the Place there and then you can view it on the Map at Places.

Regards

TD

5 replies

Sep 25, 2011 8:12 AM in response to Yer_Man

I tried what you suggest. It is at the point where I have pushed the "info" button. The side panel comes up then there is an item "assign place" I push that and then I get the frozen screen and the yellow sticky. I think it goes way back to when I moved to this compuer. As I remember iphoto had some trouble with the photo library. I don't remember how, but finally the photos showed up in the program and all worked well ...I thought.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

Phil

Mar 8, 2012 5:21 AM in response to Philip Neff

I have the same problem in iPhoto '11 v9.2.1

Or a similar problem at least. I wouldn't say the screen "freezes" as such, but...

the yellow post-it note graphic appears saying "To get started with places: Select an event and click the info button." But any attempt to follow those instructions leads me in a circle via the "Assign a place" button and back to the same yellow post-it note graphic. Places feature is inaccessible.

Aug 19, 2012 10:24 AM in response to harrywood

Okay, I finally figured this out. We are just clicking in the wrong place! Do NOT click on the little circle with an arrow inside that appears to the right of the text "Assign a place". That goes to the post-it note.

Instead click on the text itself, to reveal a text entry box. That is where you can type a location or lat/long coordinates.

Sorry, Apple, this aspect of your usually clear UI was not clear to some of us. Maybe the text should say, "Enter Place Here".

Yellow stickie "To Get started with Places" is frozen on the screen. How do move on and assign a place?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.