Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MBP video card crashes

Hey, Just got my new Macbook Pro around June, and already I am having problems with it 😠

The first time it happened it was in Mac OS X (Snow Leopard), but I didn't really understand what had happened. All of a suddent my computer kind of just stopped, and then all of a sudden there was just a distorted glitchy screen. The only thing I could do was Hard Reset. T

The next time this happened, I was on my Windows 7 partition, watching a Youtube video, the screen went black, then came back. I got a small error message in the bottom right the my video card had encountered an error and had recovered. I thought to myself whatever no big deal, and I kept doing things on the computer. When I went back to watch the video (had to refresh the page because the entire video had gone green for some reason) the computer crashed the same way it did before. The exact same scenario has happened to me at least one other time.

The model of Macbook I have is the 15" 2.2 GHz i7, 750 GB HDD, and my video card is the AMD Radeon HD 6750

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 8:46 PM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2011 8:24 PM in response to Hot & Juicy

Check your fans, to make sure the GPU is staying cool. I have an old 17" MBP from 2006 that draws glitchy lines on the screen if the GPU gets too hot. I manually run the fans faster on that machine to keep it from happening all the time. Usually it happens when I am doing anything with Flash.

You may have a dead fan or the wrong amount of thermal grease applied to it. Without opening it up and checking its anybody's guess. But you can use iStatPro to see what speed your fans are moving and to see the temp of your computer parts inside. Its a free download.

2011 MBP video card crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.