Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ripping smaller size tunes for iPod

When I rip CDs, I pick lossless. At that codec, I can get only so many tunes on my 8gig nano.

Is there a way I can take a selection of songs/albums and rip them to a smaller file size without harming or destroying my higher-quality rips?

thanks for any clues!

ray

iPod nano

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 9:46 PM

Select the iPod in iTunes.

On the Info tab, tick Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC.

This will convert as it adds to the iPod.

It will not change anything in your library.

12 replies

Feb 26, 2012 11:07 AM in response to brwnsfan

Yes. Big pane to the right.

At the top are iTunes's control buttons, the place where the song/artist name and or equalizer is, and search window.

On the left "sidebar" is where it shows smart playlists, and Music, Podcasts, etc. To the right of the left-hand side bar is an area I'd characterize as a big pane, or area.

In here, appear the album and Genre icons, or coverflow, or list view, and when you have an iPod connected and selected, you see information related to that iPod in this large "pane."

HTH,

ray

Feb 26, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Limnos

IIRC, I did post a question about my having trouble "snagging" CDs/Albums in the iTunes window so that I could drag them to my iPod..

...what I discovered is that I have to do it pretty fast, and THEN I'll see the red +1 or +X number of things I've grabbed...

weird that it should require speed to work, but...here we are..

ray

Feb 26, 2012 11:41 AM in response to RaySkater

Found the answer in the other thread. Go to Preferences, General, importing.

Select AAC, click ok, click ok or save, and close preferences .

Select files and go to Advanced. Convert to or Create AAC should be highlighted. Click the command and it converts them.

Doing this from memory, maybe I used different wording but I think this is accurate.

Feb 26, 2012 11:49 AM in response to brwnsfan

brwnsfan wrote:

Found the answer in the other thread. Go to Preferences, General, importing.

Select AAC, click ok, click ok or save, and close preferences .

Select files and go to Advanced. Convert to or Create AAC should be highlighted. Click the command and it converts them.

Doing this from memory, maybe I used different wording but I think this is accurate.

So you want a bitrate different from 128 kbps?

Ripping smaller size tunes for iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.