Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for Airport Wireless Connection Problem stating Self-Assigned IP and not wanting to connect in Lion OSX.

Fix for Airport Wireless Connection Problem stating Self-Assigned IP and not wanting to connect in Lion OSX.

Bought my girlfriend the newest Macbook Pro 13" and began experiencing problems with my wifi the moment we got home. Her Macbook would not connect to our home Wi-Fi while my old Macbook Late 2008 running Snow Leopard connected without a problem. Airport would say that it had a Self-Assigned IP address (168.x.x.x). Did not realize it was a Lion problem until after using her Macbook Pro and becoming jealous of the new OSX, I upgraded. Soon after I was unable to go online. Luckily I had my iPad 2 and I began to scoure the net for help. Ran into allot of suggestions but it was not until I tried the following all together was I able to share the good new, from my Macbook. Hope this works:

First go to Preferences > Network and click on the cog next to the + and - on the sidebar and click Set Service Order

- Move Wi-Fi to the top and click ok.

- Set location to Automatic

- Click Apply

- Click Advanced

- Click the "-" on the selected Wi-Fi router you wish to connect to

- Click Apply

- Click Lock to Prevent Further Changes

Go to your Mac's harddrive, (Macintosh)

- Go to Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration >

- Delete "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" file

Turn off your computer

- push and hold Option+Command+R+P

- turn on computer

- when the grey screen turns on you will hear the OS X "ON" sound (for lack of a proper term) and it will momentarily restart.

- you will once again hear the "ON" sound, let go of all keys.

- this resets your PRAM

Go to Preferences > Network > Advanced > + sign

- click Choose a Network

- Select your network and enter password

Viola!!! I tried this on my Macbook Late 2008 and my girlfriends new Macbook Pro 2010

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Macbook Late 2008

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 1:09 AM

8 replies

Sep 25, 2011 12:07 PM in response to viniguez487

VERY IMPORTANT!!

Last thing I forgot to mention is that before completing the last step of reconnecting to your wireless network,

disconnect your wireless router's power cable for ten seconds, then disconnect the modem's power cable for ten seconds, reconnect your wireless' power cable and then your modem's power cable. THEN complete the last step which is:

Go to Preferences > Network > Advanced > + sign

- click Choose a Network

- Select your network and enter password

Sorry about that.

Jan 16, 2012 4:25 PM in response to viniguez487

There is no fix needed - you just needed to follow the instructions. This is Mac 101. Your 2008 macbook is the very basic end of the hardware spectrum for LION too. You are mixing WiFi grades and frequencies.

People also need to note that many of the old PRAM and other Firmware reset commands are no longer valid or necessary in most Macs. Most of those commands died with the PowerPc and subsequent EFIx bootloader.

Jan 16, 2012 8:46 PM in response to Eric Spire

No you are clearly mistaken. The Self-Assigned IP address problem exists on many Macbook Pro models, including the current model, which I mentioned as being the original computer with the problem. While my 2008 Macbook is older it was working perfectly on Snow Leopard and didn't suffer issues until switching to Lion. So clearly the problem exists on the operating system and not so much the hardware.

I called Apple Support and they had no fix for the problem and told me that this would hopefully be addressed in a subsequent update. It wasn't until I came accross the answer after trying many different methods that I got both of the Macbooks to connect to my router. Otherwise I wouldn't or could not have been surfing the internet for the last 4 months.

Cheers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.