Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I took my iMac to be fixed and when i got it back, mail was not set up. I called Apple Support and they helped me set up mail. Then the emails went to trash on the iMac and on the MacBook Pro (same emails). There are no numbers by the 'inbox' to tell how

I took my iMac to be fixed and when I got it back, mail was not set, so I called Apple and they helped me set up mail. Now the new mail goes to trash and there is no number by the 'inbox' to tell me how many new messages I have. I cannot save a draft to 'drafts.' There is a large number by 'trash' (I think all mail went to trash - including drafts). When I send myself an emai, it goes to trash also. This is on both my iMac (the one taken in) and my MacBook Pro (same emails) which was not taken in.

I went to 'rules' but have no idea what to do there. There are no rules in the rule box. When I click 'add rule' it puts 'rule 1' in the rule box, but since that was not there when I took it in, I delete it to have an empty rule box.

Can someone pleasehelp me. I am completely stupid with all this. Do not under stand what is suppose to be set up in 'rules.'

Thank you so much,

Arudi

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 10:18 AM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Arudi

What company provides your email? Are you using Apple's Mail program for your email? Do you have your mail client configured for POP3 or IMAP? Did you do anything to change the mail configuration on the MacBook Pro? Have you tried changing the mail configuration on the iMac to match the configuration of the MacBook Pro?

By the way, you've been misled by poor field labeling on this forum into typing a large part of your message into the field intended for the subject. In the future just type a short summary of your post into that field and type the whole message into the field below that.

Sep 25, 2011 3:21 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Now new mail is coming to both computer's inboxes but there is no number on the stamp icon on dock to show number of emails on the iMac. Nor is there a number by either email address under MAILBOXES/inbox (sidebar) on the iMac. This number is showing on MacBook Pro.

I also can save drafts now on both computers.

Seems the Pro is fixed and the iMac is only missing the numbers on dock icon and by addresses in inbox.

Now that the problem is less, I feel i am wasting your time but will continue so maybe I can get those numbers back.

Two emails > AT&T email and gmail.

Apple's Mail program for email - yes, and gmail.

IMAP for both accounts.

Did not change mail configuration on MacBook.

The iMac and MacBook Pro have the same mail configuration except in Accounts/mailbox behaviours/store draft messages on the server was not marked on MacBook > it is now.

'Store junk messages on the server' was marked on one computer for gmail, but is unmarked on both now.

On the iMac, Accounts/Accounts info/Outgoing mail for gmail is smtpgmail.

On the MacBook Pro for gmail it is smpt.gmail.com (plus) my email address.

Rules/Add rule window, on the MacBook third line is 'Any Recipient', on the iMac third line is 'From."

The last box on that line has my email address on the MacBook.

The last box on that line has the last address I sent an emil to (last night), on the iMac.

On the last line on iMac, no box was selicted for 'to mailbox' > I choose 'inbox' because it is on the MacBook Pro.

Now I have a Rule #1 and am not sure I should have because there was no rules marked when I took the computer in.

Thank you. I relized I had done the labeling wrong when so much of my question appeared twice and no one else's did. I know how to do it now.

Thank you so much,

Arudi

Sep 26, 2011 2:18 PM in response to Arudi

I was worried about 'rules' because when I took computer to Genius (Bar), the first thing they looked into was the 'rules.' There was lots wrong with the mail but I ended up needing a new power pack. So this new mail action is left over from that.

I rebuilt both accounts and I still do not have a count, but I can live without that. As long as it doesn't get crazier, I will be happy. Thank you for your help. It is so nice to know there are people out there to help me.

Arudi

I took my iMac to be fixed and when i got it back, mail was not set up. I called Apple Support and they helped me set up mail. Then the emails went to trash on the iMac and on the MacBook Pro (same emails). There are no numbers by the 'inbox' to tell how

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.