Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add wireless client in Airport Extreme, what is and where is 8-digit pin?

Recently we bought a new MacBook Pro and at home I have a wireless network for my computer. I wanted to add the MBP to the network, but without using the network password, so I was looking around on here to see how to do it and I looked at the manual, but the manual doesn't tell me where or what the 8-digit pin is.

My question:

How do I add a client using an 8-digit pin, more specifically, where can I find this number?

I've looked at a few discussions in here regarding the same issue, but found no result. Sorry if this really has been solved before and I was not able to find it.

Details:

Computers:

iMac (bought in November 2007)

MacBook Pro (Sept 2011)

OSX:

Lion 10.7.1 (on both machines)

Airport Base Station:

Airport Extreme 802.11n (2nd Generation)

Version 7.5.2

Airport Utility:

Version 5.5.3 (553.20) (on airport admin machine, iMac)

Network:

-Closed

-Not extended

Wireless Security:

WPA2 Personal

I am unsure if this piece of information is of any use or importance, but I have an older machine (PowerMac G4) connected to the Aiport Extreme via Ethernet, aswell.

Thanks

24-inch iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon Pro 2600 256MB

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 10:25 AM

6 replies

Sep 25, 2011 11:41 AM in response to Tesserax

Yes, I think so? Maybe I should have specified my goal with the network.

Since my brother got a new laptop, I needed to add him to the network somehow. I didn't want him to know/use my password, so I was looking into creating a separate network altogether, but as I learned I cannot do that with the Airport Extreme I have. Then I was looking into other ways that would allow me to let him use the network but without having to type in the password, and I found that "Add a Wireless Client" thing. According to that, all I needed to do was put in an 8-digit pin that was "provided" by the client. I thought that I could just make up some 8-digit pin and that ultimately would be his "password" for the network, but even typing in abritrary 8 digits wouldn't allow me to click on the "continue" button or whatever button that is, the button would remain inactive.

I temporarily changed the password to the network to have him added, for now (connecting normally, click network name and type in password), but if I can figure out how to get him on something separate or just him not having to type in the password, that would be better so I can revert or change my password to something else more meaningful for me.

I hope this makes more sense.

Sep 25, 2011 11:58 AM in response to MogwaiDC

Ok, the AirPort's implementation is fairly basic and does not use either a push-button or a pre-designated PIN that some manufacturer's actually print on a label attached to the router. WPS on the AirPorts is based on WPA2 and requires that the base station to be configured for WPA2 Personal for wireless security.

The following are the basic steps to set up WPS using the PIN method:

• Run the AirPort Utility and connect to your AirPort in the Manual Setup mode.
  • From the menu bar, choose Base Station > Add Wireless Clients. This should open the Wireless Client Setup Assistant window.
  • Select Allow client by: PIN, and then, click on Continue. Note: Your AirPort's status LED should now be a solid blue.
  • On the network client (I am assuming that it is a Mac,) look for the AirPort's Network Name in the Wi-Fi/AirPort menu bar icon, and then, select it.
  • The Mac should now generate a PIN and display it on the screen.
  • Enter this PIN in the AirPort Utility where it displayed: Enter the client's PIN.
  • The appropriate encryption key should now be exchanged between the AirPort and the client ... and the client should now be able to join the wireless network.
  • Upon a successful connection, the AirPort's status LED should now return to solid green.

Sep 25, 2011 12:17 PM in response to Tesserax

So, on the client, once I find the network name in the Wi-Fi menu button (by the time and date), I will see the 8-Digit pin appear (on the client's computer)? Where does it appear, is it big and huge that I can't miss it, or is it somewhere in some corner or something? I just want to know where I'd have to look to see if it indeed shows a pin.

Sep 25, 2011 7:36 PM in response to Tesserax

Ok, that would be amazing if that happened, however, I never saw that on the MBP. I went to the utility, went to Add Client in the menu, clicked on the Pin option, clicked continue, and on the MBP, nothing popped up. I went to the WiFi button on the top right, displayed a few networks, selected the name of the network that I have setup, and just asked for the network's password and security, didn't get a window like you have shown me.

Can't add wireless client in Airport Extreme, what is and where is 8-digit pin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.