Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp (v4.0) no longer works (Windows 7, OS X Lion)

Hello all,

up until recently (the past few days, I'd say), I have had no problem using Boot Camp to run Windows 7. The drivers still seem to work fine and my Windows install seems to work fine, but the Boot Camp program itself seems to be borked. For instance:

* Trying to select "Restart in Mac OS X" from the diamond tray icon gets me "Could not locate the Mac OS Boot volume", which seems odd as I have no problem booting in Mac OS X by restarting and holding Option accesses all the boot volumes.

* Trying to run the Boot Camp control panel through the icon gets me a couple seconds of the whirly circle pointer icon and then it stops, and gives me an error condition to report. But Help and "About Boot Camp" still work fine from that menu.

* Attempting to fire up the Boot Camp files downloaded by Boot Camp assistant goes through the first couple steps, then gives me "The Installer encountered errors before Boot Camp could be configured"

* Attempting to repair Boot Camp services from the Control Panel > Programs menu gives me "fatal error during installation" message.

I'm not too worried yet as my install still works fine but of course I'm worried that I won't be able to upgrade this as time goes on, or new drivers come out, etc.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Windows 7 on Boot Camp install.

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 2:37 PM

2 replies

Sep 26, 2011 1:10 AM in response to AlphaLackey

<* Attempting to repair Boot Camp services from the Control Panel > Programs menu gives me "fatal error during installation" message.>

Have you tried "Repairing" the Boot Camp drivers with the MacOS Installer disk inserted while booted into Windows?

When you insert the Installer disk while booted into Windows it should give you a a window to select that option.

Sep 26, 2011 5:47 AM in response to AlphaLackey

Free space? 15GB or more free.

chkdsk comes up clean?

cleaned out temp/tmp and cache?

Programs can be repaired right from the control panel "Programs"

Go into Services to check properties and make sure Apple Mobile, Bonjour, iPod etc are all set to running and automatic. I have to restart all of those usually to get my iPod to connect.

Windows 7 DVD to check for system repairs.

Windows system restore image

Boot Camp (v4.0) no longer works (Windows 7, OS X Lion)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.