Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off "drop shadow" effect on fonts?

I can hardly read anything on the screen because of the drop shadow effects -- how do I turn them off?

thanks!

Fred

mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Jan 25, 2006 2:54 PM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2006 11:53 AM in response to fredp

Hi Fred,

I am not entirely sure as to what you are referring to with regards to "drop shadows" under text, however if you open 'system preferences' and then click on 'Appearance' you should see the option to change the font smoothing style for your monitor. It gives you the ability to optimize the way the system displays fonts on your TFT or CRT Display, with a default setting for your monitor as an available option. You also have the ability to change how big or small the text must be before font smoothing effects kicks into action.
If you are referring to a document that you are writing or reading in an iLife or iWork application, simply select the text and then click the "T" button in the Font Editor Window. This will toggle drop shadows on or off.

Hope this helps
-Pos

Jan 30, 2006 9:20 AM in response to fredp

Hi, and thanks for the info. I checked it out but it has no effect on my desktop fonts. I figure a picture's worth a thousand words, so here's one to illustrate the problem:

http://www.400gt.com/photos/misc/DSCN0001(4).jpg

on the left is my old mac, and the font is black with a white background (excuse the photo) and very crisp and easy to read. On the right is my mac mini, which has a white font with a shadow effect around it. I can hardly read it.

I've tried all the menus with no luck...hopefully I missed one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Fred

Jan 30, 2006 10:07 AM in response to fredp

Hi Again,

I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest in this case as I have mentioned everything that I can think of. I think your best bet is to wait and see if anyone with more experience in the customization of the OS X interface can help you to resolve your text shadowing issue.

Good Luck
-Pos

Jan 30, 2006 10:11 AM in response to fredp

I have to say that in all the backgrounds I've looked at, the contrast between the background itself and the white text/black drop shadow has been entirely sufficient to make the text clear and legible, and though it's difficult to tell from your example which background you are using, it's easy to see why you have a problem with that combination of text and background.

You might want to experiment with different backgrounds, (in the Desktop & Screensaver preference pane) and with different font sizes (in Show View Options in the View menu when in the Finder). You should be able to find a suitable combination.

Alternative, there likely are utilities that allow you to swap fonts and perhaps color of text - I've not found the need for such, so I have never tried any. A search in www.versiontracker.com for finder utilities or something of that sort may give you some results worth examining.

How do I turn off "drop shadow" effect on fonts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.