10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 6:16 PM by kaitanium
rachel422 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

shouldn't the box contain OS discs and software discs?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)

No, machines loaded with Lion don't come with OS X disks as previous systems have. That's due to a new system of reinstalling software under Lion.

• eww Level 9 Level 9 (52,975 points)

No, no discs are shipped with a new machine on which Lion is installed.

• rachel422 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

okay, so if I have a system problem (as I have in the past) where I see only a big question mark, and the computer is not responding to any commands, how do I re-install?

• kaitanium Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

now that is what i wanna know too!

and what if your hdd dies, along with it, the lion partition and you dont have applecare anymore?

• rachel422 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

also, if anyone knows, I can't seem to carry microsoft office or appleworks over onto my new computer from my external drive. I've always been able to do that before. But it's telling me microsoft office and appleworks is not supported... ???

• BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)

If Microsoft Office is an older PowerPC version, it won't run under Lion.  There is no Rosetta-like function, as with Leopard and Snow Leopard, to run PowerPC applications on the Intel platform.

On Lion optical disk-less recovery, see this Apple note: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

• HollisterApple Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

While your computer is starting up hold down Command+R for Lions Tools.

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6 (12,275 points)

rachel422

The first thing to do is calm down, and avoid listening to voices that only quote doom and gloom.

And the second thing to do is recognize you have no catastrophic failure, nor any current software or harware issues at all, so you can calmly learn what there is to learn on this forum.

Several on this site have information you can use because they have lived through disasters (both theirs and others').  "ds store" is one such voice.  He (she?) services Macs, and has worked through the transition to Lion.  dsstore has also helped several uninstall Lion and go back to Snow Leopard -- not that I am saying you should or have *ANY* reason to, but dsstore has extensive experience helping others.

The first part of any recovery of any Mac is backups.  Lion, as I have learned from reading discussions, makes a "recovery partition" on the internal system disk.  But the risk you run of relying on that "recovery partition" is that if the disk dies, you have lost recovery.

I will not cover the details of full backup strategies, as dsstore/eww/tjk/Csound1 can give you excrutiating detail to help you with that.

But with the correct backup, disaster recovery is a simple set up "install new hard disk, clone from the bootable backup" ... two simple steps.  Again, such details I will leave to others.

As to some applications not supported under Lion, there is a reason.

Several programs were compiled for a chipset that is no longer made (PowerPC or PPC).  The code itself is not directly runnable in Intel systems, so a transition "support system" was maintained, called "Rosetta".  Rosetta is not supported in Lion anymore.  Some applications are not runnable under Lion.  Upgrading the applications seems the only recourse.

Now I will cede the floor.

• eww Level 9 Level 9 (52,975 points)

kaitanium wrote:

now that is what i wanna know too!

and what if your hdd dies, along with it, the lion partition and you dont have applecare anymore?

That's when you calmly replace your failed drive with a new one (takes 15 minutes), restore the contents of your full backup to the new disk, and go on about your business.

• kaitanium Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

yea, the download aspect of lion is what i was wondering. solves the problem