Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove a Question Mark icon from Dock?

Long story short, I installed GeekTool from the AppStore.

The first thing I noticed was it put a unremovable icon on my dock.

So, I found and deleted the app (in Finder), and then I ended up with a Question Mark Icon on my Dock:

User uploaded file

If I try and Drag/Drop it off my Dock, it floats back If I control click/right click on it, I get an 'Options' menu, with nothing under it.

After searching and searching and searching the Support Communities I found and tried the following: removed the com.apple.dockfixup.plist file, and did the 'killall Dock' command in terminal, both failed..

To make matters worse... I said to myself, perhaps if I reinstalled it again, and tried from scratch, I could find some 'uninstaller' either in the app, or in the AppStore. I found out the hard way, the AppStore does not have an Uninstaller. Now I have TWO icons I can not remove:

User uploaded file

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jay

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 8:55 PM

16 replies

Sep 25, 2011 9:33 PM in response to VA-Jay

Have you checked your Accounts login items for geektool? If so remove it.

Did you check your Activity Monitor to see if geektool.app is running (maybe two since you said you reinsalled two). If so kill it (or them).

Log out and log back in. Then see if you can drag the icons out of the dock.

Update: Actually if you do find them in your login items then you don't have to kill them, just log out and back in and try clearing the dock.

You also want to delete the preference pane in your ~/Library/PreferencePanes.

How can I remove a Question Mark icon from Dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.