Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i get quicktime plugin for android browser

I am working on a web application which needs quicktime plugin in the browser to work.

Do we have an android version for Apple quicktime browser plugin? If yes how can i download/buy it?

Quicktime-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 3:57 AM

anurag1984 wrote:

I am working on a web application which needs quicktime plugin in the browser to work.

Do we have an android version for Apple quicktime browser plugin? If yes how can i download/buy it?

Apple only produce a QuickTime plugin for Mac OS X and Windows. I am not even sure equivalent capability exists on iOS devices, it certainly does not and will not for Android. There used to be QuickTime for Java but that is now long discontinued.

If you merely looking to provide the ability to play a compatible video file, then using H.264 video and the HTML5 video tag is the new preferred method. This will work on iOS, Mac OS X, Windows (supported by both Apple and Microsoft), and probably Google Chrome platforms.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2011 3:57 AM in response to anurag1984

anurag1984 wrote:

Apple only produce a QuickTime plugin for Mac OS X and Windows. I am not even sure equivalent capability exists on iOS devices, it certainly does not and will not for Android. There used to be QuickTime for Java but that is now long discontinued.

If you merely looking to provide the ability to play a compatible video file, then using H.264 video and the HTML5 video tag is the new preferred method. This will work on iOS, Mac OS X, Windows (supported by both Apple and Microsoft), and probably Google Chrome platforms.

Sep 30, 2011 3:12 AM in response to anurag1984

anurag1984 wrote:

Thanks John for the quick answer.

Can you give me some pointer to verify the same for blackberry/iphone and other similar platforms.

Thanks again

iPhone is an iOS device and all iOS devices support using the HTML5 video tag to play H.264 video. Blackberries will be dependent on the operating system, older versions of the Blackberry operating system had one of the suckiest mobile platform web-browsers in the world, newer ones are much improved.

A quick Google suggest Blackberries do now support some HTML5 features but not the video tag, however for better Blackberry information your better of going to RIMs own forums.

Sep 30, 2011 4:07 AM in response to John Lockwood

John Lockwood wrote:

anurag1984 wrote:

Thanks John for the quick answer.

Can you give me some pointer to verify the same for blackberry/iphone and other similar platforms.

Thanks again

iPhone is an iOS device and all iOS devices support using the HTML5 video tag to play H.264 video. Blackberries will be dependent on the operating system, older versions of the Blackberry operating system had one of the suckiest mobile platform web-browsers in the world, newer ones are much improved.

A quick Google suggest Blackberries do now support some HTML5 features but not the video tag, however for better Blackberry information your better of going to RIMs own forums.

Hi John, thanks for the reply!!!

However, my problem is a legacy web application which has to be opened up in a mobile browser. Porting it to HTML5 from quicktime is something on cards but not immenent.

So i am a bit specific about support of a tag like -

<EMBED src="http://mydomain.com/video.mov" width="320" height="240" autoplay="true"

controller="false" loop="false" bgcolor="#000000" pluginspage='http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/'>

</EMBED> in a mobile based browser.

Thanks again!!!

How can i get quicktime plugin for android browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.