Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

US iPad v. UK/European iPad?

I want to give my daughter an iPad. She is in college in the UK. Should I buy it here or send her money to buy it there?

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 11:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 12:02 AM

They are cheaper in the US, but obviously you'd have to pay postage/shipping (and probably insure the package) in order to get it over here (Apple themselves won't ship abroad). If you do buy in the US then the Verizon 3G model won't work with 3G over here - they are CDMA based, not micro-sim, and we don't use CDMA here.

UK US

£399 $499 wifi 16 gig

£659 $829 3G 64 gig

The currency rate is currently about $1.50 to £1 so the US wifi 16 gig would be about £335 (£65 pounds cheaper in the US) and the 3G 64 gig version £552 (so if bought in the US £100 cheaper).

A full list of US iPad prices is on this page, and the UK pries are here

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2011 12:02 AM in response to miqatsu

They are cheaper in the US, but obviously you'd have to pay postage/shipping (and probably insure the package) in order to get it over here (Apple themselves won't ship abroad). If you do buy in the US then the Verizon 3G model won't work with 3G over here - they are CDMA based, not micro-sim, and we don't use CDMA here.

UK US

£399 $499 wifi 16 gig

£659 $829 3G 64 gig

The currency rate is currently about $1.50 to £1 so the US wifi 16 gig would be about £335 (£65 pounds cheaper in the US) and the 3G 64 gig version £552 (so if bought in the US £100 cheaper).

A full list of US iPad prices is on this page, and the UK pries are here

Sep 26, 2011 2:54 AM in response to uselessSABOTAGE

Shipping it would be cheaper BUT thats assuming customs dont pick it up and decide to charge. If they do then you will be hit with 20% VAT AND import duty which often puts the price up over what it would cost to buy over here.

Also, she would need to buy a UK power adapter.

So, if you get away with it you would end up saving around £30 (not much really) after she buys a uk plug.

Send the money, also means no problems should she need to get it serviced. I know apple, worldwide support etc but sometimes people like to give reasons to not do any work.

US iPad v. UK/European iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.