Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 10.0.1 update now crashes every time I launch it!

FCP update now crashes every time I launch it! Won't even open a project I started last week with version 10.0.0.

I have a deadline at work so I've now got a big problem! I'm trying to give the new and supposedly improved FCPX a shot but this app is turning out to be a real hack. What other professional video editing software do you guys use? Anyone use Premier Pro? I have Premier pro and think I should probably start my new projects in it. As I said....this app is a real mess.

FYI: Same problem for my 1 year old MacBook Pro (8G ram, i7 processor) AND my Mac Pro (16G ram, 2 x 3GHz quad core processors, 4-1TB hardrives.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 10:19 AM

I guess you have tried the usual such as delete the preference file, make another user on your computer.

13 replies

Sep 26, 2011 12:29 PM in response to innocentius

I've since talked with a few friends across North America that work at video shops. The unanimus advise I've received from them was that Final Cut X is really not a subject of conversation in professional video editing houses.

1. The app, as it stands now, is so incredibly buggy, due to lack of thorough testing, it's not likely to be reliable tool for any real/professional editing environments anytime soon - if ever (see point #2)

2. Final Cut X is now a consumer "Now You Can Edit Like a Pro" application. Many film houses used Final Cut Pro before X was released. But now it's coming full circle. The concensus is that video editing was primarily a "locked" technology. Apple gave it their best in reinventing the wheel. But if it's not broke, don't fix it. FCPX is targeted and dumbed down (eg: magnetic timeline) for the novice consumer masses that can afford $299 to really wow the friends and family with little sally's 14th birthday party video.

I get it...It's a bottom line decision.

Take a random sampling of 1000 people in your city. How many of them are professional editors that would drop $1000 or more for an editing app? 5...7...10 people? How many of those 1000 are regular john doe consumers that could afford $299 to "edit like a professional"? Even if that number is only 50 out of 1000 apple has made $14,950.

AVID is the software of real professional video editors.

Sep 26, 2011 12:55 PM in response to MadDog15

I don't know who these friends are, but they're certainly misinformed and they don't appear to be doing you any favours.

There are a great number of professional editors who have used Final Cut Pro since version 4 - but took the trouble to

a. Find out the system and install requirements for FCP X

b. Watch professional tutorials such as Ripple Training and actually LEARN how to use this ground breaking new application.

They (and I) are having very few issues with FCP X - especially since the update.

If you're getting crashes, autosave problems etc, there is more than likely some conflict on your system drive.

Create a new (admin) user on your Mac system and try FCP X from there.

I did this, and FCP X worked perfectly on the new account, meaning there was definitely a conflict on my existing system.

To be absolutely certain my MacPro's system was squeaky clean, I then did a clean reinstall (not TimeMachine) and FCP X has worked reliably ever since.

FCP X application should be in your Applications folder and ideally, your project and events should all be on an external HD and not on your Mac system drive.

I have around 4000 clips distributed between six events at the moment and FCP X is coping very well most of the time.

It helps to work without the waveforms displayed as these slow things down considerably.

Do you have FC Studio or a version of FCP on the same drive partition as FCP X?

This is what Apple say on their current web page on installation practice:

"It is strongly recommended that you install Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 on a startup disk that does not have Final Cut Studio (2009) already installed. Use Apple's preferred installation procedure when upgrading one version of Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Studio to the next. This procedure is not unique to Final Cut Pro X."

They do go on to say "if you must" have the two on the same partition, FCS must be located in a different folder - but I would have thought the words "strongly recommended" and "if you must" speak for themselves.

Andy

Sep 26, 2011 12:57 PM in response to innocentius

I've suprised myself too. Being a die hard apple fan, I did buy-in to all the hype and wow advertising for FCPX. FCP will work fine for now but with no more updates or maintenence to the app its a dinosaur and going more extinct by the day.

A little embarrassed and humbled by this experience....but I've learned much. That apple's not as shiny as I thought. Kinda sad about that but it is what it is.

Sep 26, 2011 1:05 PM in response to andynick

Wow that's quite a bit of info! thanks for the post. I've been through all the tutorials multiple times. I could teach final cut 10 to others. Ask any question about it....the only one I don't know is why it's not reliable.

I want a car that takes me where I need to go. No one wants a car that will get you there BUT FIRST stand on your right foot, face the rising sun at 8:15 am, shake a chicken foot over the motor and now turn the crank on the front really fast while meditating.....

thanks all for you input.

FCP 10.0.1 update now crashes every time I launch it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.