Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applying Power Mac G5 Firmware Update 5.1.4

Recently the logic board in my Power Mac G5 2.0GHz Dual Processor (late 2003) failed, and since Apple no longer supports it, I installed a used logic board to replace it. The computer worked again, but I noticed that the replacement board had never had the firmware upgraded. When I attempted to apply this updater:

Power Mac G5 Firmware Update 5.1.4

December 15, 2003

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL627,

I got the message "The disk image you are opening may be damaged and could damage your system." So I didn't open it.

The same message occurred when running OS X v10.5 and OS X v10.4, both with the file I just downloaded, and with a file on CD that I saved from December 2003.

On a hunch, I installed OS X v10.3 from the original install DVD that came with my Power Mac G5. Then I was able to mount the updater from the .dmg file without any error messages and run it, and the update proceeded without issue.

Evidently Firmware Update 5.1.4 only works in OS X v10.3, so if you have the issue that I did when applying it, try installing OS X v10.3 first.

PowerMac G5 2GHz DP, Mac OS X (10.4.6), Has Final Cut Studio

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 10:39 AM

2 replies

Nov 6, 2011 6:25 AM in response to Old Vic

Thanks for your heads up!

I also hit this issue on my Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz (original from June 2003) which had Firmware 5.0.7f0 installed. I first tried to open the dmg on Leopard, then on Tiger. Both report the disk image to be broken. I risked it and opened it anyway. The installer looks normal and it can be started.

I didn't risk it though. I figured if something goes wrong I'd have to trash the whole G5 since there's no more warrenty on it, and expensive servicing will definitly outweigh its current value.

So, I also installed Panther which didn't have problems opening the very same dmg file. My guess is that it would have also worked with Tiger and Leopard, but: why risk it? The Open Firmware update to 5.1.4f0 itself went very smooth, no problems at all. Very nice.

Cheers,

Andreas

Applying Power Mac G5 Firmware Update 5.1.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.