Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X: DV AVI import fails

Hello forum,

I have DV AVIs which were captured on a Windows XP PC with the Miro DV500 capture card. When trying to import a given AVI file into Final Cut Pro X 10.0.1 (latest available update) I get an error message:

"No importable media - None of the selected files or folders could be imported. Change your selection and try again"

(I have the german version, so the above is just a rough translation)

I tried also with unchecking all import dialog checkboxes, to no avail. The same import failure happens on an iMac running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and FCP X 10.0.1 (latest update) and on a MacBook Pro running 10.7.1 Lion with the original FCP X 10.0.

I copied the files onto the Mac harddisk. The size is nothing extraordinary, the smallest file is just about 172 MBytes.

The files import just fine into my Final Cut Express 4.0 version! They also play fine with QuickTime or any other application such as VLC on my Mac.

I found this entry here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3152268?start=0&tstart=0 which talks about (large) MJPEG AVIS from a Pentax K-7 camera. The same workaround described there works with my DV AVI files as well: I open the AVI with Quick Time 7 Player (on my Snow Leopard), "Save as" and then "Save as reference" ("Als Referenz sichern" in my german QT). This produces a very small *.mov file which I then can import into FCP X!

(Unfortunatelly I haven't figured out yet how that works on Lion with QT 10.1, since the "Save as" has gone (bummer!) and the Export doesn't seem to provide a "Save as reference" anymore - unlike the original post claims: "...and save the file as a movie with the media in the same format." - how?)

Anyone else is having trouble importing DV AVIs into FCP X?

Final Cut Pro X-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 1:54 PM

5 replies

Sep 26, 2011 2:42 PM in response to Jim Cookman

Ops, sorry, yeah, wanted to post this to Final Cut Pro (X) forum! Sorry about the noise!

Anyway, thanks for your reply: I consider this a bug in FCP X and if possible would like to avoid to transcode the movie (I could live with copying the streams 1:1 and simply re-writing the AVI header, or copying it into a MOV container, without any re-compression loss - any such program known? Tried quickly VLC, but that only seems to support transcoding into MPEG etc., not copying the content 1:1...).

Anyway, will re-post this into the proper Final Cut Pro forum... if you're interested, please continue there.

Sep 26, 2011 3:22 PM in response to till213

FCP has always been hit or miss with .avi. after all it is an obsolete and proprietary Microsoft format for display on computers and was never an industry standard in Pro video production.

You can use Compressor to transcode to ProRes, which will better retain the quality. I know you said you don't want to transcode, but this will work, be painless and probably save time in the long run. Better than faffing about rewriting headers anyway.

FCP X: DV AVI import fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.