Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Getting Rid of iWeb??

I was at the Mac Resource store today, and one of the managers told me that Apple is going to get rid of the iWeb program, and features. He said any website previously built in iWeb will have to be rebuilt or moved thru a different program.

IS THIS TRUE?? NO MORE IWEB?

iWeb '08

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 8:44 PM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2011 1:36 AM in response to kellynewmac

NO, this is not true. iWeb is an app and you can use it if you have it on your Mac - if you are using iWeb 08 you can sitll upgrade to iWeb 09.

No it is not true that any site built in iWeb needs to be rebuilt or moved to another programme. Not true at all.

Nobody really knows what is happening to iWeb for sure until Apple makes an official announcement about it which they have not done.

Sep 27, 2011 9:32 AM in response to kellynewmac

iWeb is compatible with Lion - sort of - but how long this will be true remains to be seen.

iWeb was designed to produce small, personal websites and perhaps its appeal is becoming limited due to the number of alternatives available for this type of site.

Here's an interesting point of view ...

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/21/three-reasons-iweb-may-be-doomed/

Its clear that Apple no longer supports iWeb and its not supplied with new Macs. You can draw your own conclusions from this!

Sep 27, 2011 11:18 AM in response to kellynewmac

It is now generally acknowledged that iWeb, and iDVD, has been discontinued by Apple. This is evidenced by the fact that new Macs are shipping with iLife 11 installed but without iWeb and iDVD.

However, iWeb will still continue to work but without the following:

Features No Longer Available Once MobileMe is Discontinued:

◼ Password protection

◼ Blog and photo comments

◼ Blog search

◼ Hit counter

◼ MobileMe Gallery

All of these features can be replaced with 3rd party options.

I found that if I published my site to a folder on my hard drive and then uploaded with a 3rd party FTP client subscriptions to slideshows and the RSS feed were broken. If I published directly from iWeb to the FPT server those two features continued to work correctly.

There's another problem and that's with iWeb's popup slideshows. Once the MMe servers are no longer online the popup slideshow buttons will not display their images.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

However, Roddy McKay and I have figured out a way to modify existing sites with those slideshows and iWeb itself so that those images will display as expected once MobileMe servers are gone. How to is described in this tutorial: #26 - How to Modify iWeb So Popup Slideshows Will Work After MobileMe is Discontinued.

It now appears that the iLife suite of applications offered on disc is now a discontinued product and the remaining supported iApps will only be available thru the App Store from now on. However, the iLife 11 boxed version that is still available at the online Apple Store (Store button at the top of the page) and those still on the shelves of retailers will include iWeb and iDVD. Those two apps were listed in small, gray text on the iLife 11 box that I bought.

Personally, if I didn't already have a copy I would purchase one to have it for reinstallation purposes if ever needed.

This might be of some interest to you at this time: Life After MobileMe.

OT

Apple Getting Rid of iWeb??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.