6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 9:43 AM by Chantus
Chantus Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I´ve been searching in the forums and apparently final cut pro doesn´t allow to lock a clip, to avoid moving it.

But this is a big issue because audio is always attached to some video clip, and any time you move this video, the sound moves with it. Is it possible to separate them and leave the audio alone?

Thanks,

Pablo

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), ATI Radeon
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (112,505 points)

Yes, you can use Break Apart to separeate the audio from the video.

• Chantus Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Yes, I know.

But it is always attached  to a certain video, and every time you move that video, the sound goes with it.

I want to have a soundtrack locked in a position and move the videos as i want

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (112,505 points)

Either you edit the audio onto the primary storyline and connect the video to it, or you connect the audio to something that doesn't move like a gap clip at the head of the project or something else.

• BenB Level 6 Level 6 (8,415 points)

You can always select all your desired audio clips, right click one, and Make New Storyline, too.  Otherwise, what I do, and I'm basing this on a Music Video edit scheme I use, is to put that song in the Primary Storyline, then edit everything else as connected clip to the audio.

BenB, not that intuitive but can work, depending on the project. I´ll give it a try. And hope tha apple update the FCPX with a more easy way to do this (lock audio)

Thanks!

Pablo

I have found what can be a solution for me. It´s making a compund clip (not a storyline) of all the audio tracks I need to get locked.

Cheers