Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXIF lens code cannot be recognized

Dears,

Aperture 3.1.3 cannot recognize some EXIF lens codes after applied Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.8.

Don't know what has happened.

Please help.

Aperture 3.1.3

Camera : Canon 5D Mk II

Lens : Canon EF 135mm F2

does anyone have the similar problem?

Please help. Thank you very much.

Aperture 3

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:20 AM

8 replies

Sep 27, 2011 12:04 PM in response to franktsang

For me it was just the opposite. I have a Tamron 17-50 lens and before the last camera raw update the lens info in Aperture just showed the focal length. Since the update I get the full name and spec for the lens.

Before:

User uploaded file

After:

User uploaded file

If you were getting more information about the lens prior to the last update you might want to let Apple know.

Aperture->Provide Aperture Feedback

Jun 3, 2012 4:16 PM in response to franktsang

My Tokina 11–16 mm f/2.8 is recognized as Unknown (160) 11–16 mm by Aperture. When I prompt the complete EXIF data from my photos with the command line utility ExifTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/), the complete lens data is shown in the LensID tag as Tokina AT-X 116 AF Pro DX 11–16mm f/2.8.

With the command

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -P -tagsfromfile @ '-Lens<LensID' IMG001.jpg

you can fix some of the lens metadata issues by replacing Lens (= Unknown (160) 11–16 mm) with LensID (= Tokina AT-X 116 AF Pro DX 11–16mm f/2.8). But this it is not very convenient to use.

Therefore I wrote a little app that iterates through a selection of Aperture photos and execute ExifTool on each of the photos. You can download it from http://touristathome.tumblr.com/post/24342878728/unknown-lens-aperture

Mar 5, 2014 7:09 AM in response to franktsang

I have the same problem but with my lens Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4.

Dears,

Aperture 3.5.1 cannot recognize some EXIF lens codes after applied Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.8.

Please help.

Aperture 3.5.1

Camera : Canon 5D Mk III

Lens : Zeiss Planner T* 1.4/85 85mm

does anyone have the similar problem?

Please help. Thank you very much.

EXIF lens code cannot be recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.