Skip navigation

Setting Computer Information

915 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 5:04 AM by Paul_Cossey RSS
Paul_Cossey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 27, 2011 2:38 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to set the Computer Information Fields that are located in System Prefs - Sharing - Remote Managment - Computer Settings from ARD?

I've had a look via Google but can't see to find anything.

Thanks, Paul

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,145 points)
    Sep 27, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to Paul_Cossey)

Send the following to the workstation(s) using the Send UNIX Command, adjusting as appropriate for the field and text:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop \Text4 "sample text for info 4"

Note: there's a space between before the \Text4 portion, just in case it isn't apparent when you view this.

Regards.

• Elliot Jordan Level 3 Level 3 (575 points)
    Sep 27, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to Paul_Cossey)

There's a way to do this in the ARD interface without the need for a UNIX command, if you prefer.

1. Select your target computers.

2. Choose Manage > Change Client Settings.

3. Adjust settings as necessary and click Continue until you come to this screen:

Screen Shot 2011-09-27 at 9.41.44 AM.png

4. Click Continue once more, and it will send the settings to your target Macs.

• Elliot Jordan Level 3 Level 3 (575 points)
    Sep 28, 2011 9:24 AM (in response to Paul_Cossey)

Interesting. My ARD list updates immediately after the command runs. Most of my target Macs are on 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 with the latest ARD 3.5.1 client software update, if that makes any difference.

• varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,145 points)
    Sep 28, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to Paul_Cossey)

If it's not updating automatically, you can try the kickstart command:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370

To restart the ARD client, send the following using the Send UNIX Command option, with root as the user:

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ki ckstart -restart -agent

You'll have to stop the task manually once sent since the ARD client, having been restarted, won't be able to report completion.

Regards.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.