Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing win 7 64bit is a no go on 2011 15" macbook pro on 10.6 or 10.7

I've been struggling with this for 3 weeks or so since i got this brand new quad 2.3ghz 15" macbook pro. it has 8gb ram, but i have attemped the installation with 4gb as well without anyluck.

upon boot all i get is a blinking cursor and then nothing - forever. it sees the disc, but nothing happens.

on macrumours some people also had luck setting their screen res to 800 x 600 but it didn't work for me.

i have tried every rumour i have come across, including resetting the smc and pram, but this machine will not install a fresh OEM official disc of windows 7 pro 64bit onto clean installs of snow leopard or lion.

I have also attempted this with most up to date versions of 10.7.1 and 10.6.8

is there anything else i can try or is this machine a dud? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 6:42 AM

11 replies

Sep 27, 2011 8:51 AM in response to Andrew Graham5

OEM as in really OEM? or just what is called "System Builder" and will install universal hardware.

Burned ISO or shipped as physical media?

A lot of schools and others offer electronic versions themselves or off MSDN. Burnikng is an issue.

Doesn't matter what version of OS X you use, other than it has to be able to download drivers for after Windows is installed. The MB Air needs USB-DVD support driver for the install.

Rumors are just that. What you want is someone that it worked for. Forums are usually those it doesn't and had trouble. Hopefully not the norm either.

3rd party RAM has been blamed once or twice, not compatible with Apple's.

Truth be told, you should not need anything other than poip in the DVD, hold the Option key down so you can get to the Apple boot manager to select the optical disc, and install. Anything less and either the Mac, the optical drive, the DVD.

Burning ISO electronic versions: slowest burn speed in Disk Utility.

Also, you have your Windows partition, that should be 50GB.... or more.

You could try VirtualBox and seeing how that goes and install Windows in a VM.

Just to test. A VM is forgiving. Most can be installed off an ISO as well.

If Paragon CampTune 9.5 (latest, supports Lion partitions, Lion now has its Recovery partition etc) supports resizing partitions between Mac and Windows, but I think can also be used as quick assist with the install process. Most of their products have good demo and $19 to resize etc isn't bad.

If you just bought Windows 7 then it should also be "SP1" already included rather than the old original version which is now a full two years old!

Can you exchnage the DVD etc? I'd go that route, there are reports of bumb DVDs. And hope it isn't the optical drive, which happens but less often.

Sep 27, 2011 4:54 PM in response to The hatter

thanks for the reply.

vm's are of no use because i need to use the gpu for 3d in windows which is why i need bootcamp. but vms do work fine on this machine.

The disc is an official original disc with sp1. I have tried original discs of professional and home edition. no burnt iso's here. but i have tried 2 other burnt discs of different isos as well for good measure with exactly the same symptoms.

i can use the boot manager ok, thats how im getting to the infinite blinking cursor on the screen.

Sep 27, 2011 8:01 PM in response to Andrew Graham5

it appears that the original dvd drive that comes with the macbook pro cannot be used as an external drive for this purpose.

users of external enclosure beware!

it works fine for everything else though. i need a solution to this so i dont have to rip out my 2nd internal hard drive to install windows.

its possible another type of external drive would be ok in this situation but i dont know.

Oct 9, 2011 11:05 AM in response to Andrew Graham5

And that is why there are Apple drivers for the MacBook Air that support use of external superdrives.

The VM was 1) to insure it install, 2) some people need to burn an ISO and works better from there. Not as an ultimate solution, though we are in the dark as to what/why/needs people have for running Windows as most don't mention or include all tidbits.

In some cases people have had to swap SSD, superdrive etc to get Windows up and running.

Oct 9, 2011 11:23 AM in response to steve359

Actually that "saying" is mine, based on feedback and comments and school of hard knocks, Apple Disk Utility does not burn Windows 7 ISOs under OS X properly unless one reduced the speed.

Lion may allow one to use Boot Camp Assistant to take an ISO and burn to DVD, and be better.

And some people had best luck burning with Windows, whether that was VM or on a PC.

Oct 23, 2011 4:52 PM in response to dlhomesolutions

well i have figured out that you cannot use the dvd drive from the mac in an external usb case to install windows at least.

this doesn't solve my problem- i dont want to have to remove my 2nd internal hard drive everytime i want to install windows.

i hear that if i were to buy any other external drive that it wouldn't be a problem, but haven't verified this.

installing win 7 64bit is a no go on 2011 15" macbook pro on 10.6 or 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.