Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is coreaudiod keeping my MBP awake?

Idle sleep is not working on my MBP. I went so far as to install PleaseSleep, and that won't work. I finally decided to dig into this, and looked at the assertions log with pmset:

pmset -g assertionslog

Logging all assertion changes.

9/27/11 9:15:51 AM EDT

Assertion status system-wide:

ChargeInhibit 0

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 1

NoRealPowerSources_debug 0

CPUBoundAssertion 0

EnableIdleSleep 1

PreventSystemSleep 0

DisableInflow 0

DisableLowPowerBatteryWarnings 0

ExternalMedia 0

Listed by owning process:

pid 210: [0x0000012c000000d2] PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:8,0,1,1:0'.noidlesleep"

Kernel Assertions: None

pid 210 is coreaudiod. I can't for the life of me figure out why core audio would be preventing the Mac from sleeping. Any thoughts? I don't have any USB devices connected.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iPhone 4 16 GB

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 6:24 AM

17 replies

Sep 27, 2011 6:50 AM in response to Jon Baumgartner

Please try by opening Preferences > Energy Saver > Restore Defaults, for both Battery and Power Adapter. I think PreventUserIdleSystemSleep should be set to 0.

What is console saying, when closing the lid? I mean which error messages you get, when opening the lid again?

Could you restart with SHIFT key to see whether the problem persists.

marek

Jan 16, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Jon Baumgartner

I too am having this problem, however, I do not use Spoofy or Safari. Here is my assertions log:

localhost:~ conflicttheory$ pmset -g assertions

12-01-13 19:01:59 EST

ChargeInhibit 0

NoRealPowerSources_debug 0

CPUBoundAssertion 0

EnableIdleSleep 1

PreventSystemSleep 0

DisableInflow 0

DisableLowPowerBatteryWarnings 0

ExternalMedia 0

pid 655: [0x0000012c0000028f] PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:8,0,1,1:0'.noidlesleep"

Any other suggestions as to why coreaudiod is keeping my MBP awake?

Dec 13, 2012 7:40 PM in response to Jon Baumgartner

I had the same problem when GarageBand was left open. It's easy to reproduce; open GarageBand and then type pmset -g assertions. PreventUserIdleSystemSleep will be set to '1'. Close GarageBand and it goes to '0' (assuming nothing else is holding it high on your laptop). I was keeping my laptop in a case and it was always hot when I opened the lid. I am worried this would have caused damage to the retina display in the long term.

It's troubling that I have to close all of my applications now every time I close the lid. This is a pretty glaring flaw in supposedly the 'best' OS in the world. Putting it another way, my 2008 HP which cost $400 doesn't boil the display while I'm out at work.

Jan 6, 2013 11:27 AM in response to jmandrewcarter

I seem to be having a similar problem - unresolved by restaring or resetting SMC and PRAM - in that my Macbook Pro runnng Snow Leopard will only sleep if I make it (clicking sleep or closing lid) and not from power saving settings.

Assertions log states the following:-

Macintosh-2:~ mikemckernan$ pmset -g assertions

06/01/2013 19:12:00 GMT

PreventSystemSleep 0

ExternalMedia 0

UserIsActive 0

ApplePushServiceTask 0

BackgroundTask 1

pid 161(iTunes): [0x00000001000001c8] 00:00:39 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Nameless (via IOPMAssertionCreate)"

pid 42(mds): [0x0000000c0000012f] 00:01:11 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds"

pid 142(coreaudiod): [0x00000001000001c3] 00:00:44 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineInput:1B,0,1,0:1'.noidlesleep"

pid 225(helpd): [0x0000000c0000019d] 00:00:58 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding"

Now by turning off itunes I can remove the first line but the others stubbornly remain.

I am not running garage band but this prob became noticable after I had had a short play with the app?

Whilst I can continue to sleep the machine manually this is very annoying.

Any ideas on how I can solve the mysterious com.apple com.apple.audio and com.apple.helpd as I am very confused?

Your help very much appreciated.

Mike

Jan 6, 2013 11:48 PM in response to skeletorfw

Thank you for the response.

In checking sharing I confirm I have no boxes ticked (they are all blank)

If I click each one in turn they are all greyed out and confirm inactive except internet sharing which has a red dot but still confirms sharing is off.

Just tried turning all on and off again but pmset -g assertions keeps coming back with prevent user idle system sleep1?

Most frustrating?

Why is coreaudiod keeping my MBP awake?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.