Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I subtract two times how do I convert them to tenths? Example: 7:00 minus 5:55 equals 1:05 or 1.6 hours? Thanks in advance for your help.

If I subtract two times how do I convert them to tenths? Example: 7:00 minus 5:55 equals 1:05 or 1.6 hours? Thanks in advance for your help.

iMac

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 11:03 AM

9 replies

Sep 27, 2011 12:39 PM in response to tkzv

Note that there is no "Time" format. It is Date & Time, even if you don't have it showing the date. If you enter 6:00 in one cell today and 6:00 in another cell tomorrow, the difference of the two will be 24 hours, not 0 hours.

I just wanted to be sure you knew that. It can trip people up. There was a lot of discussion on the subject a long while ago related to the timesheet template.

Oct 9, 2015 5:55 AM in response to tkzv

Hi tkzv,

"Crossing Midnight" is a common problem in Numbers. It is a result of the Numbers Date & Time format. As Badunit explained, when you enter a Time, it automatically carries a Date (an instant in time since midnight at the start of 1 January in the year 1904).

User uploaded file

Formula in D3

=IF(DUR2HOURS(C3−B3)>0,C3−B3,C3−B3+"1d")

Add "1d" (one day) to compensate 😉.

This may not work if more than one day is between Start and Finish.

That is how Date & Time works in Numbers. An instant in time since midnight at the start of 1 January in the year 1904 makes sense to me. 1904 was the first Leap Year in the 20th Century, and that makes it easy to calculate other Leap Years.

Regards,

Ian.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.