Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to create an extended network with a ZyXEL

Recently bought a cheap ZyXEL for the back bedroom so that I can use it as a bridge/access point. I have the Time Machine set up as a WDS Main, but I can't find a place for pins, push button, etc. How do I get it to connect to the Time Machine? Here's the ZyXEL's manual if it will help. And, since it can't find any other base stations, it is amber, although I can still get online, no problem. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Time Capsule 1st Gen.-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 12:32 PM

10 replies

Sep 27, 2011 12:38 PM in response to Steven Richason

Sorry, but very, very few devices from other manufacturers were compatible with Apple's WDS settings, so it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to configure the ZyXEL access point to work with your Time Capsule.

The known devices that are compatible are listed below:

• Belkin F5D7230-4 and F5D7231
  • BT Voyager 2091 or 2100
  • Buffalo WGR-G54
  • Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS (not latest versions v5)
  • Netgear WGR614 v6
  • SMC (one model - don't know the model number)
  • Thompson 585v6 wireless router (only 40 bit WEP works)

Sep 27, 2011 2:10 PM in response to Steven Richason

It would work, but keep in mind that the Ethernet connection from the Express to the 360 is only going to be as good as the wireless signal can provide.

Take your laptop to the proposed location for the Express and log on to the wireless. That is the quality of connection that the Express will deliver at the Ethernet port to the 360.

Bottom line...the Express does not "boost" the signal....it extends the signal that it receives.

You will have much better performance from the 360 by connecting a 60' Ethernet cable.

Sep 28, 2011 3:36 PM in response to Steven Richason

Steven Richason wrote:

They are pre-n, but still n. Thanks!

Not pre-N (which is a mimo G quasi standard) rather draft N.. and draft N and full conforming N work fine together. The full acceptance of N took a while but draft products like all the wireless cards in the earlier Laptops work just fine with later airport products as earlier ones.

Ethernet over Power (EOP) adpaters are a good alternative to wireless. Any double hopping wireless causes terrible slowness (less than half the speed) and increased latency. The EOP are pretty much consumer items now and work easily in most houses.. although they usually need to be plugged directly to the power point. They cannot work on a power board due to the 10A breaker.. or whatever it has in your Country. A simple double adapter should work.

I'm trying to create an extended network with a ZyXEL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.