Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 13" MBA Headphone Buzzing

Hi All. Under the following conditions:

• 2011 13" MBA with Lion 10.7.1
  • Sennheiser PXC 450 noise-cancelling headphones (in normal mode with NoiseGuard activated, i.e. noise-cancelling turned on). (I have some Buy Other Sound Equipment QC15 'phones as well, but not with me currently and can't test)
  • MBA charger plugged in
  • not playing any sound on the MBA and not touching it (not grounding it with my person)

I'm finding that there's a good amount of buzzing/white noise. It clearly seems like a ground issue because the buzzing stops if I do any of the following:

• I touch (and thus ground) the MBA
  • I put the headphones into bypass mode (so they act as "regular" headphones); presumably any other "regular" headphones wouldn't exhibit buzzing either
  • Unplug the MBA from the charger

I'm not convinced the grounding issue is in the wall outlet because I've tried a few outlets already as well as plauuging the charger into a UPS / power conditioner. Again, passive headphones don't seem to have this problem; only these active Sennheiser noice-cancelling headphones so far exhibit the noise (my other NC headphones are at home and will have to try them later).

Anyone else with a similar setup that can confirm or deny this behavior?

Thanks,

Keith

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:14 PM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2011 1:52 PM in response to Mario_MM

Ah very good question, and I feel so ridiculous right now.

And you're a genious!

I've been using the 45 watt MagSafe without the extension (it's at home), plugging the brick directly into the wall & in this mode it's not grounded.

I just borrowed my co-worker's MagSafe extension and wouldn't you know it -- now that the thing is actually grounded the buzz is gone.

/facepalm!

Thanks for that ray of insight!

2011 13" MBA Headphone Buzzing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.