Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my MacBook Pro switch to Intel integrated graphics?

My early 2011 MacBook Pro seems to be incapable of using it's integrated Intel graphics card, obviouslly affecting battery life when unplugged. I've verified the computer is using the discrete graphics card at all times and in all situations. Is there a way to "force" the computer to use the integrated Intel graphics?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:49 PM

7 replies

Sep 27, 2011 5:29 PM in response to tjk

Yes, I've set the appropriate check box to switch for better battery life. I've tried restarting the machine in all sorts of situations (being sure no video-hungry apps were set to automatically restart for example) but have found no success. For some reason, even under the easiest of loads, the discrete card is always in use.

Sep 27, 2011 6:26 PM in response to vasistha

Again, under the System Preferences >Energy Saver the "Automatic graphics switching" is checked on right?

If so your problem likely is a corrupt preferences file. We need to delete it.

1: Use the Finder Go To to open your Users/Library/Preferences folder (in Lion 10.7 Apple made it invisible)

2: Find the

com.apple.systempreferences.plist

file and move it to the desktop and reboot, change your System Preferences again and reboot.

See if that fixes your problem.

Check the preferences folder that the plist file was rebuilt.

Delete the desktop .plist file.

note if your having trouble finding the file, use the free Easy Find and delete it that way

http://www.devon-technologies.com/files/EasyFind.app.zip

Sep 28, 2011 4:48 PM in response to vasistha

Figured out what was going on. The resets and plist file delete helped but I kept seeing the card switch over when I started up what I thought were very lightweight apps that shouldn't require a discrete card. Downloaded gfxcard and figured out it was the Twitter app that kept causing the machine to switch over to the discrete card. It seems silly such a small app would cause that switch.

Sep 13, 2012 10:07 AM in response to vasistha

Had the same problem! GFXCard saved the day (http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus). I'd probably be careful with this program about exactly when you force it to swtich between the integrated and discreet card, but it's awesome. For example, VLC uses the discreet card, even though the integrated card is definitely capable of running simple video.

Thanks for posting your answer, otherwise I wouldn't have found this.

Why won't my MacBook Pro switch to Intel integrated graphics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.