Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G4 will not wake from sleep correctly, or shut down?

hi all,

I have a quicksilver 2001 g4, dual 800mhz running a tripleboot of leopar, tiger, and OS 9. anyways, If I allow the cmputer to sleep, it will freeze up and/or display weird colored objects on the screen. Also, when I shut down the computer it will not turn off. Either I get the SPOD, or the screen blacks out (like it should) but the rest of the machine is still on, and i have to turn it off by hand.

I just put in a new PRAM battery last night, zapped it, and it still does it. Any idea?

-Thanks in advanced

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Dual 800mhz QuickSilver,160gb,1.5gb

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 3:02 PM

10 replies

Sep 27, 2011 3:42 PM in response to darthrevan945

Do you have any third party USB or graphic cards installed ? In the past these have caused problems with these machines,also an external drive can do the same thing. I suspect your triple boot setup is at fault as the hack need to install Leopard might have messed things up. You might want to try a small program called "Applejack" and see it that helps.

Sep 27, 2011 4:10 PM in response to BDAqua

As a matter of fact I have a USB 2.0 card isntalled that doesn't work right and i was going to replace. I have a few External Drives I use from time to time. But the computer has on board USB 1.1, so a 2.0 card is a necessary. There's also the factery Geforce 3 that came with it, but thats an AGP card. I use TDM via FW from my iBook G4 also every now and then.

Sep 28, 2011 2:47 PM in response to darthrevan945

if removing the card were to fix this problem, would that be a bad card? or would the problem return if I bought a new card?

Most likely a chipset issue.

A USB 2.0 PCI card with a NEC chipset is the only choice.

VIA and ALI are both problematic.

More explanation:

B8B574BC-BB45-4B3E-9D9B-F97EBB3230BC.html

If you remove the card and the sleep and shut down issues continue, a PMU reset is the usual fix for power management related issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939

PowerMac G4 will not wake from sleep correctly, or shut down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.