4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 1:04 AM by MacZwik
MacZwik Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

My iMac (bought in april 2010) came with 2 x 2 Gb of RAM. Today I received a 4 Gb RAM and I put it in the empty slot of my iMac. I was wondering if it is ok to use only 3 slots instead of the 4 the iMac has.

I was also wondering if I use the right order for the RAM:

BANK 0/DIMM0: No RAM

BANK 1/DIMM0: 4 Gb (I put it in there today)

BANK 0/DIMM1: 2 Gb (Has always been there)

BANK 1/DIMM1: 2 Gb (Has always been there)

Best regards

iMac 21,5, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
  • noisyneighbor Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hi MacZwik,

iMac (Mid 2011)iMac (Mid 2010)iMac (Late 2009)

The above models support Nonparity RAM configuration, which means it is ok to leave one of the slots empty.

I personally prefer installing RAM of the same brand though. Hope this helps

check out HT1423 for more info

Cheers!

• MacZwik Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you very much! So it doesn't matter the first slot is empty? It is not working better if the first slot has the 4gb the second is empty and in 3 and 4 the 2gb's

• noisyneighbor Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

"It is not working better if the first slot has the 4gb the second is empty and in 3 and 4 the 2gb's"

--- are you saying that the computer seem faster when the 4GB stick is in the first slot?

Check (Apple Logo > About this Mac ) if the added RAM is recognized, 4GB to 8GB is a huge jump and you should be able to "feel" the difference.

You can also check About this Mac > More Info> System Report  to see if the 4GB stick is recognized when placed on any of the slots.

• MacZwik Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for your answer. I haven't tried to put the 4 gb in the first slot. I only have tried the 4 gb in the second slot. I was wondering if it would make any difference, to leave the first or second slot empty.

My iMac recognizes the 4gb, so that is ok.