Skip navigation

Using 3 RAM slots instead of 4

851 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 1:04 AM by MacZwik RSS
MacZwik Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 28, 2011 7:57 AM

Hello,

My iMac (bought in april 2010) came with 2 x 2 Gb of RAM. Today I received a 4 Gb RAM and I put it in the empty slot of my iMac. I was wondering if it is ok to use only 3 slots instead of the 4 the iMac has.

I was also wondering if I use the right order for the RAM:

BANK 0/DIMM0: No RAM

BANK 1/DIMM0: 4 Gb (I put it in there today)

BANK 0/DIMM1: 2 Gb (Has always been there)

BANK 1/DIMM1: 2 Gb (Has always been there)

Best regards

iMac 21,5, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
  • noisyneighbor Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Sep 28, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to MacZwik)

Hi MacZwik,

The above models support Nonparity RAM configuration, which means it is ok to leave one of the slots empty.

I personally prefer installing RAM of the same brand though. Hope this helps

check out HT1423 for more info

Cheers!

• noisyneighbor Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Sep 29, 2011 12:20 AM (in response to MacZwik)

"It is not working better if the first slot has the 4gb the second is empty and in 3 and 4 the 2gb's"

--- are you saying that the computer seem faster when the 4GB stick is in the first slot?

Check (Apple Logo > About this Mac ) if the added RAM is recognized, 4GB to 8GB is a huge jump and you should be able to "feel" the difference.

You can also check About this Mac > More Info> System Report  to see if the 4GB stick is recognized when placed on any of the slots.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.