Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Mac OS 9.5 on an existing OSX system? Can I download OS 9.5 (Classic). Would like to run some kids games that require 9.X

Can I install Mac OS 9.5 on an existing OSX system? Can I download OS 9.5 (Classic). Would like to run some kids games that require 9.X. Do I have to repartition?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.4), Tiger, not sure of exact V

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:46 PM

13 replies

Sep 28, 2011 5:50 PM in response to HagarHun

9.1.2 was the last version of OS 9 (Classic). There is no version 9.5. But on top of that, no, there is nowhere you can download it. You would need to purchase a retail copy on CD.

No, you do not need to repartition. OS 9 and OS X can be on the same drive. You cannot boot to OS 9 though unless you install the OS 9 disk driver. Which would require erasing the drive since that can only be done during the installation of OS 9.

Sep 28, 2011 6:12 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Right, meant 9.1 as I stared at my 8.5 disk. Just read an article on potentially installing it by unhiding folders and putting a system folder on the disk......

I do not need to boot to 9.1 just run the environment. I did have an old PowerMac 7200 but I think 9 was an update......have no disks/cd's.

Starting fresh may be the answer but I may try the former if I can get a hold of the disk. Didn't Apple say it was going to release 9.X for download to support the old classic users?

Sep 28, 2011 8:33 PM in response to HagarHun

On what kind of Mac are you trying to run this? If it is an Intel Mac running Tiger then it won't run Classic.

No need to unhide anything. If you have a working version of 9.1 or higher elsewhere (like an old computer) you can copy that folder to the top level of your hard drive (right next to OSX's "System") and it will act as Classic (you might need to set things up in Preferences).

Didn't Apple say it was going to release 9.X for download to support the old classic users?

I haven't read anything like that here and Apple frowns terribly upon speculation. Given that they haven't even released the last version of OS7 for download it would surprise me. In fact Apple tends not to even pay any attention to any kind of support for anything older than about 4 years - tends to be completely off their radar.

Sep 29, 2011 6:25 AM in response to HagarHun

If you just want to run in classic mode, copy the System Folder from another Mac that has OS 9.1 (or better with 9.2.1 or 9.2.2)installed. A USB thumb dive works great for this. Transfer the folder to your Mac. It won't interfere with your OS X system which is in a folder titled System. Classic mode works fine for most OS 9 apps, however, many games do not function properly in classic mode.

Cheers, Tom 😉

Sep 29, 2011 6:48 AM in response to Ramón G Castañeda

No, make that Mac OS 9.2.2, which includes Finder 9.2.2 and Classic 9.5.0.

Heh! Yes, I just realized this morning that I didn't get it right, either.

9.2.1 was the last retail release. 9.2.2 was the last official version, but only exists as an update for Classic on those Macs which came with both OS X and OS 9 to run as Classic.

Hagarhun,

As Texas Mac Man noted, you can just copy OS 9 from a Mac with that installed. That's what I used to use for Classic. I did a clean install of 9.2.1 from my retail disk onto a 7600, and then copied it to a G4 tower. From there, OS X would do the small updates to 9.2.2 the first time you ran Classic.

Otherwise, if your Mac came with OS X, there should be a installer package on one of the gray disks (usually the last one) that has a name something like, "Extra Software". That's the copy of OS 9 that came with your Mac.

Sep 29, 2011 8:31 AM in response to HagarHun

More Internet trash talk ?

Apple releasing Mac OS 9.0 for free

By Rich Trouton Apr. 1, 2005, 11:57am PT 27 Comments
  • inShare0

Following in the footsteps of the release of System 7.5.3 for free in January 1999, Apple has decided to give away Mac OS 9.0 operating system for free since it’s been replaced by Mac OS X, and not used by OS X’s Classic (Mac OS 9.2.2 is required for Classic.). Sources at Apple have said that since 9.0 runs on all PowerPC Macs and Mac OS 9.2.2 doesn’t, Apple has decided to release 9.0 to support its past customers who have Power Macintoshes that have PowerPC 601, 602, 603 or 604 processors. Mac OS 9 can be updated to 9.1 using a free updater available from Apple’s website.

Sep 29, 2011 8:41 AM in response to HagarHun

If I do find a disk what about installing it to a removeable USB drive?

No idea. Not sure if the installer would allow it. Though if it's formatted as Apple Partition Map, then it probably will.

More Internet trash talk ?

Yes. The updates are free. Anyone who wanted OS 9 itself would still have to find a copy they could purchase.

Can I install Mac OS 9.5 on an existing OSX system? Can I download OS 9.5 (Classic). Would like to run some kids games that require 9.X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.