Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

increase number of rings before pickup

How do I increase the number of rings before pickup on the iPhone4?

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 8:33 PM

Contact your carrier's customer service. Ask them to set the maximum time before shunting the call to voicemail. They deal in time rether than number of rings. On my AT&T iPhone, the default was 20 seconds and they increased it to their maximum of 30 seconds.

11 replies

Jan 24, 2012 2:55 PM in response to Jim VanLeeuwen

Apple needs to provide better advice to its iPhone customers on this issue -- there is nothing on this topic in the iPhone manual.

My iPhone 4S rings for 4 rings (about 10 seconds) before the call transfers to voicemail. I would like the time to be extended to about 15-20 seconds.

After spending more time than I would like to determining that the manual does not address this topic, and searching the internet, I called my wireless provider (Verizon), who said they extended the ring time on their switch, but it failed to register on my iPhone. The Verizon rep conferenced in an Apple rep, who said the iPhone could not be changed in this respect.

This is basic stuff -- even if it does involve some interaction between Apple and the wireless service provider. It is one of the first things I have attempted to modify on my phone (immediately after I programed in my voicemail). If the phone cannot be modified in this respect, Apple should say so in its manual, and not have everyone be forced to figure out how to try to fix this problem for themselves.

increase number of rings before pickup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.