Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem in Server Admin: cpu and network graphs not updated or empty after lion server update

Hi!

Just for archive purpouses because i've already solved that!

After upgrading from OSX Server 10.7 to 10.7.1 my CPU and Network graphs in Server Admin stop being updated.

In 24h the graphs where blank (disk usage graph seem to keep working).

First i read about "what is the application responsible for this"; it's called ServerPerfLog, and you can see if it's running that way:

# ps ax | grep ServerPerf

If you don't see anything else than your own "grep", that means that no application is running, no data is being collected.

41324 s000 R+ 0:00.00 grep ServerPerf

A positive response for this (meaning that the service is running) should be something like that (2 lines: your grep and the service app itself):

94 ?? Ss 0:04.71 /usr/libexec/ServerPerfLog

41344 s000 R+ 0:00.00 grep ServerPerf

Later i read about "where is the config file for this service app", and you can find it here:

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ServerPerfLog.plist

If you edit this config file, check that the "Key > Disabled" is set to "False"

# vi /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ServerPerfLog.plist

(...)

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

(...)

After that, i try to launch the service that updates this graphs again, by hand, performing the following command:

# sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ServerPerfLog.plist

And the service got launch!!! yeeeepa!! i see a first update in graph data.

Also the "ps" query reply that the service was running!!

The bad things came a day after, when i saw that the graphs stop again....

I check if the service was running executing again the "ps" command, and that show me that the service was stopped again; no ServerPerfLog process was running.

But r e l a x, because the process hang because of a permissions problem.

You should know, I run "Repair permissions" within "Disk Utilities" over the running system disk, eeee... voila!

I hope that helps someone to get his fancy graphs back!

Regards,

t

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 1:31 AM

1 reply

Problem in Server Admin: cpu and network graphs not updated or empty after lion server update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.