Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self Assigned IP address problem

Hi Guys,

I was playing Starcraft 2 when I suddenly lost my internet connection. I use Airport to do that, and I assumed it was a minor issue solvable by restarting Airport and my router.

Unfortunately, this didn't cut it, and what I kept seeing was this "Airport has a self assigned IP adress and can't connect to the internet"

I did my fair bit of research (I like to try everything I can before going to the community) and noticed it's a fairly widespread problem amongst Snow Lep users.

I have 10.6.7, and this is a list of all the methods I tried to solve the problem :

• Disabling the built-in firewall (putting the mac pro to sleep and waking it back up didn't do a thing)
  • Renewing DHCP lease in the advanced panel of airport
  • Adding a new location to my airport to force the acquisition of a new IP, to no avail
  • Deleting Airport and re-adding it in the left pane of the network preferences
  • Deleting com.apple.airport.preferences.plist --- Networkinterfaces.plist --- preferences.plist from the library and restarting. still not working
  • Of course, restarted my DSL modem and my laptop multiple times
  • The problem isn't machine based since I'm writing this from my bootcamp (running windows xp) and wireless internet works perfectly well.
  • Changing the WEP setting to WPA (I read somewhere that encryption can f*** things up)

I should add that I've been using the same wireless network at home for more than a year now, without changing anything.

If there is anything I overlooked or any method not described above kindly let me know, as you can imagine this issue is super annoying.

Many thanks in advance,

Roy

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 4:30 AM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2011 7:34 AM in response to KyoB

Didn't work, still facing the same problem.

Talked to my ISP and they said the only configuration type possible was the automatic one and that I couldn't manually set an IP address.

There's only one thing to do and it's to solve the problem on the mac itself. I can't believe this issue has been around for so long and Apple hasn't dealt with it properly yet!

Oct 2, 2011 7:03 PM in response to KyoB

I'm getting a lot of the same problems too. Just happended today. Did all about the same things listed in your first post, and nothing. Reset my router to factory settings, and still nothing. I get the same error when connected by ethernet "Airport has a self assigned IP adress and can't connect to the internet" and it won't even try to connect when not connected by ethernet. It's just a big mess. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Self Assigned IP address problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.