Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PPC Tiger on Intel Mac?

Hi everybody ;D

I've got an Mac mini 1,83 GHz and my question is:

I have a Tiger System CD for PPC's and I would need to install Tiger on a external HDD for some older Programs that don't run on Lion.

Is that possible? And if it works, how must I go on?

THX ;D

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 500GB HDD 2GB RAM

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 5:54 AM

4 replies

Sep 29, 2011 6:17 AM in response to DasNiveau

Some Intel processor Macs can run Tiger, but the Tiger version is a special version that only came on the Install/Restore DVD that came with the Mac. The retail Tiger DVD can only be used on PowerPC processor Macs.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Here's the spec sheet on your Mini. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/stats/mac-mini-core-2-duo-1.83-sp ecs.html It came with OS 10.4.10 preinstalled. You have to install that version on the external HD.

Message was edited by: Texas Mac Man

Sep 29, 2011 6:19 AM in response to DasNiveau

I don't think it will work. The few Intel Macs that ran Tiger came with their own version. Retail installer discs won't even work. PPC discs are very unlikely to work since they would not have the software coding for Intel components.

Since your Mac Mini 1.83 GHz came with Tiger why don't you just install Tiger that came with that computer on an external drive and use it with the Mac Mini?

Sep 29, 2011 11:19 AM in response to DasNiveau

If you are missing the original installer discs and bought it new, call AppleCare for replacement discs.

Since it sounds like you want to hold on to Tiger for the ability to run older applications on an external drive, partition that drive, and the clone to the partition your existing Tiger install*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

Making sure you have enough room on the external hard drive for a clone of your internal once you upgrade. You'll want to make at least two clones on two separate drives of Tiger if you desire to move it off your internal.

PPC Tiger on Intel Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.