Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is 'Save as...'

File> Save As is no longer on the Menu???

This is in the Help: To save a copy of a document:

Choose File > Save As and specify a name and location.

But it's not on the menu and the command: Cmd-Shift-S doesn't do it.

Big Hassle for a very common workflow....big, big hassle.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 7:42 AM

18 replies

Sep 29, 2011 7:48 AM in response to 60wpm

OK...the problem is that it is NOT under File anymore.

Because of the way my screen 'jumped around,' when getting to Discussions, I posted this before doing a Search (I was trying to do a Search)....the search led to discovering that others are now having the same problem.

One work around solution was posted here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200692?answerId=15701894022#15701894022

I'll try the workaround but IT IS RIDICULOUS that one of the most common, useful and everyday commands in the Menu has been changed for no good reason.

I've noticed in Lion a few other things like this...some sort of 'art nouveau' streamlining that may seem cool but hinder fundamentals.

Sep 29, 2011 7:58 AM in response to 60wpm

I'll try the workaround but IT IS RIDICULOUS that one of the most common, useful and everyday commands in the Menu has been changed for no good reason.

Well, there is a good reason. Lion supports different versions of documents you edit along with an autosave feature. You no longer need to "Save as ..." to keep different revisions of your document, you can just "Save a version" and later "Revert to saved ...".

That's not so bad after all.

Sep 29, 2011 2:09 PM in response to Mario_MM

My workflow is often to open a previous letter about an issue; it's got my return address, it has the address of whom I'm writing to. I'll reread this letter, useful to refresh my 'thread,' then Cut out all the body of text and start the new letter. Then I want to save it under a new name.

Now I can't do that.

I think of this as a common workflow and do find it ridiculous to the max that it can no longer be done.

No time now to learn some new Automator and Script and when I checked out the 'Duplicate,' command and although it makes a copy it doesn't let me change/update the file name.

Using the 'Duplicate,' command does give me a new idea; so that was helpful.

For now I've figured out a work around. Humm....When I open a document I'll 'Duplicate,' it right away, then work as usual (keeping my return address, customer's address, cutting out body of text, starting new letter). Then I'll use Get Info to change the name.

It is not progress to now require more steps to do what previously could have been done with one.

Sep 29, 2011 4:54 PM in response to 60wpm

My workflow is often to open a previous letter about an issue; it's got my return address, it has the address of whom I'm writing to. I'll reread this letter, useful to refresh my 'thread,' then Cut out all the body of text and start the new letter. Then I want to save it under a new name. Now I can't do that.

Sure you can. One way is to use the File > Duplicate and File > Save menu commands to copy a document with a new name. NB I'd duplicate and save the copied document immediately so accidental changes are not auto saved.

Another way to do this is to create a template from the original document using the File > Save as a Template and to reuse this template each time you wish to write a letter. That is, choose File > New From Template Chooser and select your template from My Templates. This will create a new document based on the template (aka "previous letter"). This would only work for you if the "previous letter" was always the same letter. If it's a different letter each time then this won't work.

And another way to do this is to Lock a "previous letter" from the window title bar when you've finished with it. Then when you open it again you can click the window title bar and choose to Duplicate it, save it with a new name and folder. This is just a variation on my first suggestion.

Sep 30, 2011 5:59 AM in response to Dale Gillard

OK-Great! That's works smooth enough since it works out when Saving the Duplicate there is a chance to give the file a new name.

Thanks.

My letters are not the same each time but I think I will be seeking to discover how making more templates might help in other areas, right now I have a letter named: 'Address,' that just has my address info on it and open this if I want to start a document from scratch.

Re: Lock...I guess it is good making it more difficult to make accidental changes. I'll check out more of its potential uses as you have indicated.

Thanks again!

Sep 30, 2011 8:43 PM in response to 60wpm

My letters are not the same each time but I think I will be seeking to discover how making more templates might help in other areas, right now I have a letter named: 'Address,' that just has my address info on it and open this if I want to start a document from scratch.

This document with an address is a perfect candidate for a template. And Pages provides similar templates to this. Check them out to give you an idea of what you could do. Open the Template Chooser, select Word Processing > Letters and then click the templates like Personal Letter, Classic Letter, Business Letter. You could create your own template similar to these but with your own formatting.

Oct 1, 2011 2:37 PM in response to 60wpm

Reminds me of the journalist on a Real Estate magazine I helped startup.

He was in a blind panic because he had lost a story he had written on a particular property and wanted me to help him find it on his Mac.

I asked him what he had named the article and he said "House". He looked totally puzzled when I suggested that was not a good name for an article in a real estate magazine.

I detected a trend when I work for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and the other designer commonly named any picture with an aeroplane in it, Plane.jpeg.

Again got that blank look when I suggested that was not a good idea.

Peter

Oct 2, 2011 10:59 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

haha. If talking about me, I'm guilty (sniff). I now appreciate how Template will prevent me from losing my Address.pages document; now I'll take another giant step forward and rename this file: AddressSame4Last8Years.pages

Maybe this will help stem the trend. Um...I have discovered naming files with dates: Year-Month-Day is good for the way computers read numbers, like today is 20111002 and -- for what it may be worth - have set up my own 'Internet Classification System,' used for docs, bookmarks, photos, etc.

(Pic attached)

User uploaded file

Because of the way computers read text I've found it useful to put _ between _ terms.

I'm watching USA football this AM and writing some notes on it, so the file name, real easy, is:

20110902_ICS_600_NFL_Texans_Steelers_up_Foster_Down_BigBen.pages

Oct 3, 2011 7:50 AM in response to onkelmudder

Yes, onkelmudder, it's a tragedy. I've also got stuck in the middle of Automator which no longer has 'Save As...' -- The problem is compounded by the fact the Help Manual Info still thinks 'Save As...' is on the Menu.

I have come up with Another workaround now most easy for me. A System's Preference Keyboard keystroke has to be added and then I set up a Macro for one command to happen after another.

If interested, first, go to System's Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts and add a keyboard shortcut for the menu item Duplicate; I used Shift-Cmd-D.

Then set up a Macro so that Shift-Cmd-D happens first and immediately the command for Save, Cmd-S happens next.

There is an 'odd things,' that Duplicate appears twice in the Menu Structure, once under File and once under Edit and I have as yet No Idea how Duplicate under Edit is different from Copy but I'm sure some of the 'Art Nouveou Streamlining Extremist' will have an explaination.

The Duplicate of Duplicate is mentioned in another thread about this.

Perhaps the freebie app Quicksilver can be used to set up a Macro? Spark, Butler ? or other freebie launch apps. Or others have other suggestions, like making an Automator or Apple Script.

I use the Powermate Wheel for this so with one click on it the two keystrokes will happen; real easy and --- although I have No Commercial Interest in the firm -- their latest improvements to the software are near genius, allowing all sorts of Modified Clicks and Deep Clicks, and Twists...hold down the Cmd key and do it, or hold down the Option key and do it, etc. and gives me great easy of workflows and can solved repeative actions easy.

'Save As..." -- boy, those were the 'good old days.'

Where is 'Save as...'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.